Question

Honor Student
djs71a
Message 1 of 10 (8,305 Views)

Pavilion dv6-3120us Contrast

Is there a way to change the contrast on the dv6 laptop? It seems very high. For example, as I am writing this post, I am unable to see the outline of the text box I am typing on. I have tried adjusting the brightness, but that does not help.

Thanks.

Regents Professor
HaggisCat
Message 2 of 10 (8,293 Views)

Re: Pavilion dv6-3120us Contrast

[ Edited ]

I took a look at your product specifications and according to that you are running ATI Mobility graphics card.

Go to Catalyst Control Center in all programs and click on Advanced.

ATI.PNG

Choose colour and then "Reactivate ATI color controls" and you should be able to adjust the contrast, try your Gamma too. Remember to click "Apply" to save the changes.

Honor Student
djs71a
Message 3 of 10 (8,284 Views)

Thank you for the information. the screen still looks too bright / high contrast. Maybe that is how it is supposed to look and I just need to get used to it....

Regents Professor
HaggisCat
Message 4 of 10 (8,276 Views)

Go to "Display" in the control panel and in that window in the left column look for "Calibrate Color", follow the windows, there are more options there.

That is strange why the contrast is so high, you should be able to turn it down to the point where there is no contrast.

That's all I have anyway.

Honor Student
djs71a
Message 5 of 10 (8,270 Views)

Looks like I found something. The display looks as I would expect when the laptop is plugged into AC. When running on battery the display changes. I thought I had the power schemes set to the same for AC / battery, but I guess not. I will look around some more and see what I can find.

I appreciate your help!

Student
afranco
Message 6 of 10 (8,134 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi! I recently purchased this model (Pavilion dv6-3120us)  and the first thing I noticed was this:  Very unnatural color balance, contrast and brighness. I also own a Compaq Presario C300 which has a pretty balanced display, I put them side-to-side and it became obvious that the Pavilion has a strong blue cast. There was also poor contrast.

I then started to fiddle with the ATI Catalyst Control Center. These were the adjustments I did:

Red: Gamma= 0.75 / Brightness= -9 / Contrast = 74

Green: Gamma= 0.75 / Brightness= -9 / Contrast = 83

Blue: Gamma = 0.75 / Brightness= -9 / Contrast = 57

This improved the overall look. But, the blacks and shades still look Bluish.

Does anybody have found a finer adjustment or another approach to solve this???

I bought this laptop with photo editing in mind, so I need the colors to be as most accurate as possible.

Thanks in advance,

Antonio

Student
duffyf56
Message 7 of 10 (8,084 Views)

I likewise would like to see an answer to this question. In my case I just purchased a Pavillion dv6ste-3100us and also have an overly blue screen which I have repeatedly attempted to "adjust" to correct. I use the Lightning Theme and am tired of seeing blueish lightning.

Honor Student
michellemarie75
Message 8 of 10 (7,840 Views)

I received a dv7-4165 for Christmas and am running into similar display problems. The color contrast appears off (I, too, cannot see the outline on this page to determine where I am supposed to type or not. I hope there is a simple solution to this (playing with the colors didn't help.)

Honor Student
djs71a
Message 9 of 10 (7,018 Views)

Sorry to revive an old thread, but I think I found the problem. It was the gama value, not the contrast..... I adjusted it down (to 0.55). Now things look "normal" when running on battery.

Honor Student
lazz900
Message 10 of 10 (4,376 Views)

I mentioned this elsewhere - but it may help....

I too had a annoying contrast issue that seems to have been affecting other users. I have an HP Pavilion DV6, 6Gb RAM, with AMD Radeon 6620G/3520M APU.

Essentially - the screen contrast & colors were OK when plugged, but on battery it looked all washed out and just wansn't right.

I solved it by finding a little setting in the AMD Vision Engine Control Center (AMD video) settings. So I right-clicked on the desktop in Win7, selected the AMD Vision thingy, then, in the Power section, clicked PowerPlay, then unchecked the box marked Enable Vari-Bright. This immediately solved the problem and the contrast is the same now on battery or power.

:-)

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation