Question

Top Student
nancyg627
Message 1 of 27 (7,654 Views)

Pavilion dv9700 Laptop screen turns pink

My laptop screen turns pink when the screen is opened to a 90 degree angle, it's sort of  tiny pink and white vertical stripes. If I close it a little the screen goes back to normal but then I can't see the scrennn unless I hunch over.  ANy thoughts on what this is and how it can be fixed is appreciated.

Professor
Pankay
Message 2 of 27 (7,646 Views)

Re: Pavilion dv9700 Laptop screen turns pink

Reading your post as I understand it is that you may have a defective ribbon cable connector that connects to your LCD screen opening it may be one of the solution but be very careful.

||-Although I am working on behalf of HP, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.-||
//Click on Kudos if my reply was helpful and answered your question//

||-If my answer solved the problem please mark the topic as the accepted solution-||
Tutor
Michael_Murphy
Message 3 of 27 (7,644 Views)

Agreed,

The pink is generally caused when the back lite inverter is not correctly working.

Top Student
nancyg627
Message 4 of 27 (7,638 Views)

Thanks.

Is this something that can be fixed? Can I fix it myself?

Professor
Pankay
Message 5 of 27 (7,636 Views)

Yes, ummm may be.....

here is the manual for your PC..

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c01951704.pdf

you can reach to the ribbon cable of the LCD and check if it is loose or braking...

||-Although I am working on behalf of HP, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.-||

||-If my answer solved the problem please mark the topic as the accepted solution-||
Top Student
nancyg627
Message 6 of 27 (7,608 Views)

I called a computer repair shop and they said its a problem with the screen and that I need a new screen. Im not so sure its the screen because if it was the screen causing the problem wouldn't it be pink all the time, not just when its opened at certain angels? What are your thoughts?

Anyway, he estimated $250 for a new screen. Ridiculous! 

Professor
Pankay
Message 7 of 27 (7,600 Views)

Disassemble the PC screen... locate the backlight cable.. try to adjust it...

if it helps then good... else.. you should contact a repair person..

Top Student
nancyg627
Message 8 of 27 (7,573 Views)

Thank you!

Well I found the problem. My husband opened the laptop up and found a cable that runs under the left hinge under the screen is frayed. Not sure what this cable is called (part #447989-001). It's wrapped in tape and over time became frayed from the screen opening and closing. The bad part is that I can't buy JUST the replacement cable, noooo I have to buy an entirely new screen to get this silly little cable. Im so bummed....

Professor
Pankay
Message 9 of 27 (7,548 Views)

Which cable is it??

what type of connectors it has on both ends??

is it fixed to the screen?

plz do not worry... by a little search you will find the similar cable.. :smileyhappy:

Top Student
nancyg627
Message 10 of 27 (7,539 Views)

Im not sure what the cable is called. It begins above the left side of the keyboard, then splits in two directions..one goes to the backlight under the screen, and the other goes up behind the screen. Could this be the ribbon cable??

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation