Pavillion dv7-1240us motherboard/video card issues (2020 Views)
Honor Student
2talll
Message 1 of 6 (2,020 Views)

Pavillion dv7-1240us motherboard/video card issues

I put my 13+ month laptop into hibernation mode a couple weeks ago and it wouldn't boot back up after. I brought it to the local computer shop to get it looked at and I was told the videocard was shot and the motherboard would need to be replaced...something that would not be worth the cost as the motherboard and the $150-200 labor would be enough to replave the laptop.

When I called the place at first, they asked me what type of comptuer it was...when I told them it was an HP, he immediately asked if it was a dv7 and if so they have problems with the mother board.

Does anyone else see a problem with a $900 computer being completely worthless in 13 months? Does anyone know where I can get a motherboard for it, because my friend was in school for computers and she said she'd be able to easily change out the motherboard for me if I could find one not too expensive?

Is there anyway to actually contact HP? I've tried through their site and it's a while goose chase to find an actual email address!?

Distinguished Professor
kamatr
Message 2 of 6 (2,000 Views)

Re: Pavillion dv7-1240us motherboard/video card issues

If you actually end up buying motherboard at any other place probably except Ebay, you may end up shelling atleast 250-300$. You can try reaching HP from below link

http://welcome.hp.com/country/us/en/wwcontact_us.html

//Click on Kudos and Accept as Solution if my reply was helpful and answered your question//

I am an HP employee!!
Student
AndreiT
Message 3 of 6 (1,735 Views)

I have a dv7-1127cl and am having the same issue now. I called some local computer techs and they told me this is a typical dv7 problem and that they have a few on their bench waiting repairs. It's because of overheating and the fixing will be temporary. Have you been able to find a solution for your dv7?

Thank you.

Honor Student
2talll
Message 4 of 6 (1,729 Views)

I actually contacted HP through their contact the CEO on their website and got it fixed for $200.
Honor Student
tobysax865
Message 5 of 6 (1,690 Views)

My computer isn't even a year old.  My display suddenly got extremey dim.  I called the support line and they sent my computer in to have the motherboard replaced.  When I got my computer back the monitor turned white a few days later and stopped working.  I sent my computer in for a third time.  Now my monitor still has not been fixed.

Honor Student
2talll
Message 6 of 6 (1,682 Views)

If it's under a year old it's still under warranty. I had an hp a few years ago that I kept having problems with and everytime I sent it back a new problem would occur. Finally I contacted the better business burea about it and they cOntacted Hp and I ended hp getting a new laptop out of it.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation