Question

Tutor
bleach-eminem
Message 1 of 66 (45,045 Views)
Accepted Solution

Problem with graphics cards in Windows 8.1

[ Edited ]

I own an HP ENVY dv6 laptop with Windows 8 and Nvidia GEFORCE GT 630M 2GB.

Today I updated my laptop to Windows 8.1, and after the update was over, I noticed that my laptop stopped using the Nvidia graphics card and started using the Intel HD graphics card instead. I checked the "Device Manager", under "Display Adapter" and Nvidia wasn't there so I tried reinstalling it and then I updated it to the latest version which is compatible with Windows 8.1, then I checked the device manager again and Nvidia appeared under the "Display adapters" and both Intel and Nvidia were enabled so I disabled Intel and left Nvidia enabled. Then I tried opening the Nvidia Control Panel and got an error message saying "You are not currently attached to an Nvidia GPU". When I check the settings for the display, it says the driver is "Microsoft Basic Display Driver" now instead of Intel. Why isn't Nvidia connected? I don't get it. What's the problem? Can somebody please help, I'd really appreciate it if anyone could.

I also would like to ask about something else I've noticed. When opening almost any program like iTunes or Skype, the text and the whole window has a sort of blurred effect to it. the text looks small and thick and fuzzy. Does this also have to do with the graphics card or is it something else? :smileyfrustrated:

Student
HafezKayali
Message 2 of 66 (44,988 Views)

Re: Problem with graphics cards in Windows 8.1

I have the same exact problem! I have just upgraded to windows 8.1 today and I'm facing the same exact issues on the same machine, I have also done the same steps to get red of the problem and it didn't work.

Honor Student
butsam
Message 3 of 66 (44,825 Views)

I am having this problem as well! I can't get it to use the nVidia card at all.

Apparently, Windows 8.1 is a downgrade...did we expect anything else? I mean, who would run a smart phone with more than 1 graphics card? And the purpose of Windows 8 was to try to convert as many of us as Microsoft could to smart phones...

HP If you can't solve this problem immediately, can you at least let us know how to uninstall the Windows 8.1 update so I can go back to using Windows 8.0 (as crappy as it is) until the problem is resolved?

Tutor
EnvyDV6
Message 4 of 66 (44,810 Views)

I can use the Nvidia Card but it crashes on most of the games I have driver version 311.00 I am trying an upgrade to 327.23 which seems to be a stable release off the Nvidia Website. http://www.geforce.com/drivers 

Tutor
bleach-eminem
Message 5 of 66 (44,808 Views)

I've already updated to that version but I still have the control panel problem :/

Tutor
EnvyDV6
Message 6 of 66 (44,707 Views)

I have updated my nVidia Drivers and the crashing problem seems to have resolved. I am not sure what your problem might be regarding your control panel problem but if both of ours are the HP ENVY dv6 with nVidia GeForce GT630M 2GB graphics card it might be the same as having the Intel HD Graphics 4000 adaptor as well. I would maybe try unistalling both your adaptors again starting with the Intel HD Graphics 4000 and update it to the latest version and then redo the nVidia one again but don't disable any adaptor as both of my adaptors are enabled and it selects the nVidia one for games and 3D software by default and uses the intel one for everything else.

Tutor
bleach-eminem
Message 7 of 66 (44,550 Views)

Yes, we have the same laptop model and thank you for your input and clarifying everything!! I had Intel HD graphics card disabled which is probably why I had the problem. I've enabled it now and everything is good.

I want to ask you though about another problem I'm facing and if you're facing the same problem. When I open programs, like iTunes, skype, almost any program, except internet browsers. It looks strange and fuzzy, especially the text looks like it has fuzzy edges instead sharp clear edges. Are you having this problem too on your HP ENVY dv6 too? or not?

Tutor
EnvyDV6
Message 8 of 66 (44,478 Views)

Good to hear you have managed to resolve that issue. I have iTunes and Skype unfortunately I can't say I am experiencing the same problem as you with the fuzzy look I am not sure if you have tried to run iTunes with your nVidia card it is (iTunes) by default set to run on my intel card if you right click the desktop icon and just under open at the top is the option to select which graphics processor you wish to run it with, look to see the default and select the opposite one to use and see if it helps if so then maybe there might be a setting somewhere that just needs adjusting on the one that is set as default for your iTunes else you can probably set default graphics processor to the one that works if it at all resolves the fuzziness. Hope this helps you.

Tutor
bleach-eminem
Message 9 of 66 (44,330 Views)

Thank you for your input. I was able to fix this problem, It wasn't a graphics card problem. It turned out to be a scaling probelm. I changed the display settings and ticked "let me choose the scaling on all my displays" and chose medium, and everything was back the way it was. Thanks again! :smileyvery-happy:

Top Student
mfk1bee
Message 10 of 66 (44,087 Views)

is there any such solution for AMD HD 6770M?

i updated to win8.1 and my graphics card has been disabled :smileysad:

im using a dv6-6b70se

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation