Question
Problem with graphics cards in Windows 8.1
Replies (65)

Tutor
EnvyDV6
Message 11 of 66 (16,033 Views)

Re: Problem with graphics cards in Windows 8.1

http://support.amd.com/en-us/download Try this site for latest AMD Radeon HD driver update use the drop down menus to search for your specific device. Notebook Graphics \ Radeon HD Series \ Radeon HD 6xxxM Series \ Windows 8.1 - 64Bit.  Here I have listed in order from left to right the options I think you would be looking for in the drop down menus. Try download the driver for Windows 8.1 - 64Bit assuming yours is 64Bit system. Check by swiping across the right side of your touch pad at your desktop screen not the metro start menu screen to bring the right side option bar up and tap on settings then PC info, there you can check if it is the 64Bit Windows 8.1 which I am sure it is. Hopefully this will help you to download and install the latest drivers for your system. I don't have your HP dv6 so I can't help much more than this.

Top Student
mfk1bee
Message 12 of 66 (16,028 Views)

i tried that already. didnt work. and yes i have 64 bit.

Tutor
EnvyDV6
Message 13 of 66 (16,022 Views)

Suppose you tried to see if your Radeon HD Graphics chip was showing up in device manager under display adaptors along side what I assume might be the intel integrated graphics chip like mine exept I have nVidia in place of AMD? And to see if it was enabled or disabled? Since you installed the latest drivers by trying the website mentioned then you could try uninstall from device manager the Radeon HD Graphics Adaptor and then refresh the device manager page to try start the reinstallation of the Radeon HD Graphics Adaptor. If it re-installs in a disabled state try re-enable it. If you have tried all this and still nothing then I am not sure what your problem might be as I can't replicate it on my device.

Top Student
mfk1bee
Message 14 of 66 (16,007 Views)

that trick seemed to work! i went to the device manager and uninstalled my AMD driver. then downloaded the display driver from HP and installed it again! i have my graphics card back! but the AMD catalyst still doesnt work. it gives an error that says "AMD Catalyst control center cannot be started, there are currently no settings that can be configured using AMD catalyst control center" i think i need to uninstall and re-install the hp provided catalyst again.

thanks for ur help! u have been more helpful than the Microsoft support and HP support put together!

Tutor
EnvyDV6
Message 15 of 66 (16,001 Views)

Hope you manage to sort out your the rest of your issue glad I could assist you a little bit. Always good to have these forums for community input since the big giants who we purchase these tech gadgets from are not always super friendly when it comes to help on these issues.

Top Student
mfk1bee
Message 16 of 66 (15,991 Views)

yes!! that worked too! after nearly 6 hours and countless downloads from all over the internet, updating bios, downloading latest beta catalyst control from amd website, what worked was simply uninstalling the drivers from device manager and reinstalling the windows 8 display drivers! if only i had tried that earlier!

Tutor
EnvyDV6
Message 17 of 66 (15,989 Views)

Great now hopefully others with similar issues regarding Windows 8.1 Update and dv6 model HP's Graphics Cards can find this thread useful as their is a little bit of helpful info regarding both AMD and nVidia Graphics chipsets.

Honor Student
emoraej02
Message 18 of 66 (15,590 Views)

I own an HP ProBook 4445s laptop with Windows 8.

Today I updated my laptop to Windows 8.1, and after the update was over, I noticed that my laptop stopped using the AMD Radeon HD7520G card. It always crash when you are in the desktop how to fix it HP????

Top Student
mfk1bee
Message 19 of 66 (15,574 Views)

find your laptop's display driver on hp website for windows 8. go to device manager and uninstall ur AMD display driver, go to add/remove programs and uninstall ur AMD catalyst. restart ur pc, install the driver u downloaded from HP. i had the same problem and it was solved after following this procedure. hope it helps.

Honor Student
emoraej02
Message 20 of 66 (15,544 Views)

i'll already do that but there nothing happen it always be log when i'm in desktop

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation