Question

Honor Student
SURFThru
Message 1 of 10 (33,855 Views)

Screen Goes Black but PC is still running

I have the following PC

HP Pavilion 752n

Windows XP Pro with current service pack

The PC will run for about 10 minutes then the screen goes black but the PC is still running. Now I click CTL + F4 to see if I can shut it down but it is unresponsive.

I checked the event logs and there are no errors. I also pulled the case, pulled all the cards, and RAM and air sprayed everything.

Also, no new software has been loaded.

At a last ditch effort I reloaded Windows XP formatting the drive. Now during the install the PC does the same thing. So now I know it is some type of hardware issue.

Any idea?

Top Student
jwcrowe
Message 2 of 10 (33,808 Views)

Re: Screen Goes Black but PC is still running

You may have a defective NVIDIA GPU -

http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/bizsupport/questionanswer.do?threadId=1191277&admit=109447626+1224721883944+28353475

OR

http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/bizsupport/questionanswer.do?threadId=1274587&admit=109447626+1224722534607+28353475

Goodluck.

Provost
CherylG
Message 3 of 10 (33,763 Views)

May be overheating.Keep the side off while starting it up and see if the fan/fans are working.

******Clicking the Thumbs-Up button is a way to give Kudo's -Thanks!.******
**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue to help others who are searching**
Honor Student
SURFThru
Message 4 of 10 (33,745 Views)

All the fans run. As soon as XP starts the fans shut off on the CPU and it shuts down.

I decided to format the hard drive and sell this machine for parts. It is not worth any more time trying to fix it.
Top Student
Treesay
Message 5 of 10 (31,145 Views)

I have this problem and I figured out that there is a short in the AC power outlet on my monitor.  It will work then blank screen an if I wiggle the cord it will flicker on. I have tried other AC cords but the cord is not the problem.  I this I'll go to apple next time or some other manufacturer. HPm has gone downhill in the last  few years.
Student
IronMeg
Message 6 of 10 (27,741 Views)

Hp provides inferior laptops and the worst service I've ever encountered. Shame on them. I'm telling everyone I can not to buy their products. I have to use my daughter's I touch just to post this as I have no working machine (again!!!) Thank goodness for apple. I have no working screen again. Ridiculous.
Provost
CherylG
Message 7 of 10 (27,710 Views)

@IronMeg

Have you checked to see if your model is covered under the Nvidia settlement?

http://www.nvidiasettlement.com/index.html

******Clicking the Thumbs-Up button is a way to give Kudo's -Thanks!.******
**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue to help others who are searching**
Student
TomWentz
Message 8 of 10 (17,032 Views)

I have the same problem with an HP laptop where I never get a picture - even with a reboot.

Student
DustinRF
Message 9 of 10 (11,061 Views)

i have the same problem yet mine is a tad different i got a compaq hp model Cq60

i play a game called eve-online on it. at first what it was doing was. this. 

When im playing eve, after about an hour my computer decides to go in sort of a sleep frenzy, its a laptop its never done this before. 

My computer when i turn it on theirs a power button and a internet button. internet button goes from blue to orange when it does this.

now when it goes into a sleep mode you can normally get it to wake up by moveing the mouse around.instead it just shuts off.

its strange because when i hit the power button it tells me resuming windows then just turns off again.

Note i do have sleep mode and hybernation disabled, but its still going to sleep.

ive taken computer apart, cleaned everything put it all back together, even payed for it to be checked over. they said they checked it and fixed it, as soon as i got it back and tried it out. it did it again...:smileysad:

ive done so many things to fix this issue but nothing seems to work.

this thread is prolly really old and only started to google what could be the cause and found this place..

Distinguished Professor
RedRose0528
Message 10 of 10 (10,705 Views)

DustinRF,

I understand when playing a game the computer screen goes off but the computer itself stays on, is that correct? I will do what I can to help you with this issue.

Would you say during the duration of playing the game, that the system gets hot on the bottom or does it seem just warm and that the heat wouldn’t be the issue.

Please respond back at your earliest convenience.

Thanks

Clicking the White Kudos star on the left is a way to say Thanks!

Clicking the 'Accept as Solution' button is a way to let others know which steps helped solve the problem!
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation