Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP15-N096EA
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Model: HP15-N096EA

When the laptop is turned on the screen colurs are inverted i.e. blue becomes orange, white becomes black etc. at times it flickers back to normal colours i.e blue shows as blue etc.

I have checked magnifers invert colours isn't turned on but when I do turn it on the inverted colours switch to normal colours obviously. There is also a vertical shimmer like every other vertical line is missing or phases in and out.

I have booted into safe mode to see if its a driver issue but the colours are still inverted, I've booted into the BIOS and again the colours are inverted and just to cover all bases I booted a live DVD of Mint Linux 17.1 and the legendary green of the mint distro was a lovely lilac. I've also tried high contrast i.e. Left ALt + left Shift + Print Screen.

My feeling is its the graphic chip or the monitor and I'm hedging more towards the monitor. Tomorrow I'll do a screengrab to see how that comes out and will also connect to an external monitor to see if the flicker and shimmer is still present.

Considering this is literally a month and 6 days out of guarantee it pretty bad, I would have expected a bit longer from a laptop before it started failing. 

Update from Yesterday: I did a screengrab from the HP using the snipping tool in windows 7, this showed the colours inverted i.e. negative, I saved that screengrab to a USB stick and opened it up on my Mac, the image showed correctly i.e. not as a negative.

This is the image that is displayed on the laptop, there is no colour inversion, none of the graphics settings appear incorrectly set, I did actually set all settings back to defaults.

image-as-it-looks-on-screen.jpg

This is the screengrab from the laptop as it displays from another computer, which, in my case was my Mac. The screen appears to be displaying correctly, hence the screengrab image below but for some reason it is displaying an inverted image - Its like there is an overlay on the screen.

screen-grabbed-image.jpg

Could the inverter be faulty?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi, This issue was solved by me, I just bit the bullet and took a gamble on the screen being faulty and replaced it, the laptop is working fine and displays correctly.

I replaced it with one of  These: 15.6" AUO/AU Optronics B156XW04 V.1 V.2 V.3 V.4 V.5 Screen LED Slim

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi @chubby_ninja ,

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forums and Welcome. I have looked into your issue about your HP Pavilion 15-n096ea Notebook and issues with the graphics.  If it shows while connected to a different monitor then it is not the graphic card, it is the LCD screen or the cable.

I would replace this as it is the least expensive. Display panel cable 732066-001 Page 97 of your manual. Or you could take the Notebook to a shop so they could test each of the cable and LCD screen.

You could call our technical support at 800-474-6836. If you live outside the US/Canada Region, please click the link to get the support number for your region. They will be happy to assist you immediately.

Thanks.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom left to say “Thanks” for helping.:smileyhappy:

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Hi, This issue was solved by me, I just bit the bullet and took a gamble on the screen being faulty and replaced it, the laptop is working fine and displays correctly.

I replaced it with one of  These: 15.6" AUO/AU Optronics B156XW04 V.1 V.2 V.3 V.4 V.5 Screen LED Slim

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.