Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have an HP Pavilion G-7 1000 series laptop.  After closing a program, all of a sudden my screen display is now too large for the attached monitor.  The display is running over at the bottom and off to the right, but do not have any scroll bars to manuver around with.

I've tried attempting to adjust the resolution to no avial.  I have also ensured the zoom is at 0% (won't go any smaller, but can make it larger).  I've tried rebooting several times, including in safe mode and have also tried a driver update.

Any ideas as to what is going on?

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi fbchick51, welcome to the HP Forums. I understand that your notebook is not outputting optimally to your external display. To find accurate troubleshooting, I will need more information about your system. First of all, what version of Windows is installed? Are there letters after the "HP Pavilion g7-1000" (this question isn't a big deal). What type of external display are you using? Is it HDMI or VGA connected? Does that monitor work properly on any other computers (if you can try it)?

Guide to finding your product number
Which Windows operating system am I running?

Let me know.

TwoPointOh
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended
The G7-1000 was what the site told me when I entered the product code.

Its running windows 7.

Yes, the display is completely fine when hooked to an external monitor. It was a VGA. My issue is with the monitor attached to the laptop
HP Recommended

Thanks fbchick51. When both displays are connected, your display properties should list and number each display. Which display is listed as the 'main' display, and what are each display numbered? What multiple display setting are you using (ie. Duplicate/Extend/Show Only).  Can you switch the multiple display setting through the various options and note each resolution for each display? If you are not sure what I am referring to, take a look at the images in this document: Guided Help: Dual monitor setup is easy in Windows 7!

If there is a driver issue, you can restore the original graphics drivers using this method: Using Recovery Manager to Restore Software and Drivers (Windows 7)

TwoPointOh
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended
The resolution doesn't change as I toggle through the options. The onboard monitor stays at 1920x1080. The external is set to 1680x1050.

I have already tried restoring the driver and updating the driver and no change.
HP Recommended

The notebook display should be set to its optimal resolution which is 1600 x 900, according to your specifications. HP Pavilion g7-1000sq Notebook PC Product Specifications

Try changing the resolution, and see if the same issue persists.

TwoPointOh
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended
That actually made matters worse. I have less viewable area at the lower resolution.
HP Recommended

If the 'maximized' windows are not contained within the display, then I believe we have exhausted troubleshooting. Double check your refresh rate to be (50 or 60MHz) Windows 7 Screen Refresh Rate - Display Settings, if that doesn't help you may want to try a complete factory reset before confirming a potential hardware issue:L Performing an HP System Recovery (Windows 7).

TwoPointOh
I work on behalf of HP

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.