Question

Honor Student
Kericius
Message 1 of 4 (105 Views)

Streaky Screen W/ Grid of Dots + Won't Hold Charge

A year or so ago, my HP Pavilion DV4i crashed and I had to replace the hard drive.

A year before that, my battery stopped holding a charge. I have replaced the battery twice and no cigar. I've ran diagnostics galore....still no cigar. The indicator on the task bar shows it constantly at "12%-not charging" but if the power cord falls out, 12% or not, it turns off immediately as if out of battery.

Now, my screen looks like this:

http://i59.tinypic.com/2djtai9.jpg

My questions for the Professionals are as follows:

1.) Would you suggest LCD replacement or do you think it's a wiring problem? 

2.) How would I even begin to deal with the battery issue? What parts would I need?

I repair tablets and phones but I haven't worked with laptops yet so I need some input from the pros if you don't mind. 

:smileyhappy:

I would be infinitely grateful for any help. Thank you in advance!!!

For the record, if I use an HDMI cord, the screen projects to my TV perfectly. I don't know if that helps or not...

HP Support Agent
Futoji
Message 2 of 4 (77 Views)

Re: Streaky Screen W/ Grid of Dots + Won't Hold Charge

Hello Kericius, welcome to the HP Forums.

I see that you have a display issue and battery issues. I will try to help you with this.

Could you please provide the Model and Product numbers for the notebook, with the currently installed operating system.

The display issue may be connection related, or may end up being the display being faulty. You can check this by using the Maintenance and Service guide, this will provide you replacement parts numbers and steps with images on how to correctly remove components.
Based on the fact that you can connect to the TV with HDMI, leads away from possible graphics issues.

The battery, I find a bit more worrisome. This may end up being a system board issue (could also be something not connecting correctly). The notebook is getting power via the AC, but it's not getting power at all with brand new batteries nor allowing them to charge correctly.

You may find the guide above to be helpful for that as well.

Thank you for posting on the HP Forums.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" at the bottom to say “Thanks” for helping!

Futoji
I work on behalf of HP
Honor Student
Kericius
Message 3 of 4 (59 Views)

Thank you for replying so quickly. Every now and then (very rarely) my screen will actually show the page that I am on but it will freeze and slowly fade back to the grid shown above. 

Product # VP018AV

Model: DV4i-2100

Should I assume it is in fact a system board issue and attempt repair? 

HP Support Agent
Futoji
Message 4 of 4 (48 Views)

Hi,

Prior to digging right in to repair the system board, I'd recommend doing some hardware testing to see if this can help pinpoint anything.

Testing for Hardware Failures (Windows 7, Vista).

Also, the display may still be a separate issue. That needs to be looked into. If you're up for experimenting and confident, then you could start with that first, to see if it can be fixed. And move onto the battery issues (possibly system board) after.

The other option is contacting support for repair/replacement options.

HP Technical Support, North America 1-800-474-6836. For all other regions click here.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" at the bottom to say “Thanks” for helping!

Futoji
I work on behalf of HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation