Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Pavilion g6t-2000 CTO
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I bought this laptop two or three years ago but did not notice this issue untill about a year ago. This is because I did not know what switchable graphics were and always assumed the card I spent an extra $100 for was working. I am unable to use the AMD m7076HD graphics card at all. Instead I am forced to use the integrated Intel 4000HD for gameing, which is less than Ideal. When I boot up the computer I get an error message saying that I don't have the dirvers for the AMD, when I left click on the desk top there is no option to configure switchable graphics, when I try to start CCC it gives me an error message telling me that there are no settings to be configured, when I try to change graphics properties it only shows me the Intel chip, when I look in video game graphics setting there is only the intel chip, and in the bios there are no settings for fixed and switchable. The only way I know I have and AMD card in the computer is that divice manager says so. So far I have repeatedly tried updating the drivers for both cards and the bios from HP and just the cards from leshcat, repeaditly. I also took it to geek squad once but the most they were able to do was get CCC to open. With GTA 5 out I really want the issue to be fixed. Is there anything else I can do? I have scoured the web over the last year and found no other soloutions for my specific problem. If there really is nothing else I can do my self, where should I take it to actually be fixed. From what I did read, it seems like alot of other people had this problem and it was never solved. I am about done with this computer and HP, I need answers soon or I am just going to cut my losses and buy a new laptop from a brand that will sell it to me in fully working condition. Let me know if any more info is needed.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi there @supersadness

Welcome to the HP Support Forums! It is a great place to find the help you need, both from other users, HP experts and other support personnel.

I understand that you have been having issues with switchable graphics on your notebook. I am happy to help with this.

Firstly, you mention installing multiple drivers for this, but in reality, if you have switchable graphics, you just need the one driver from the HP website, which includes both the AMD and Intel drivers, for a switchable configuration.

Please read through the following for information on how it works.

HP Notebook PCs - Overview of Switchable Graphics or Dual GPUs

HP Notebook PCs - Switchable Graphics on Notebooks Configured with Intel and ATI GPUs

This should be the only driver you need to install for the switchable graphics functionality. It will start to download to your default downloads folder once you click the link. You will then need to run it, to start the installation. However I would recommend uninstalling any previous video driver first, then restarting and then installing this driver.

AMD High-Definition (HD) Graphics Driver

Also here is the description of the functionality from the download page:

This package provides the AMD High-Definition (HD) Graphics Driver and Catalyst Control Center for supported notebook models that are running a supported operating system. For notebooks with switchable graphics modes, this package includes drivers for both graphics processing units (GPUs). Switchable graphics enable users to switch between a power-saving graphics mode (normally used under battery power) and a high-performance graphics mode. If high-definition multimedia interface (HDMI) video output is supported, this package also installs the HDMI Audio Driver.

Let me know if this helps.

Malygris1
I work on behalf of HP
Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click Kudos Thumbs Up on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hi there @supersadness

Welcome to the HP Support Forums! It is a great place to find the help you need, both from other users, HP experts and other support personnel.

I understand that you have been having issues with switchable graphics on your notebook. I am happy to help with this.

Firstly, you mention installing multiple drivers for this, but in reality, if you have switchable graphics, you just need the one driver from the HP website, which includes both the AMD and Intel drivers, for a switchable configuration.

Please read through the following for information on how it works.

HP Notebook PCs - Overview of Switchable Graphics or Dual GPUs

HP Notebook PCs - Switchable Graphics on Notebooks Configured with Intel and ATI GPUs

This should be the only driver you need to install for the switchable graphics functionality. It will start to download to your default downloads folder once you click the link. You will then need to run it, to start the installation. However I would recommend uninstalling any previous video driver first, then restarting and then installing this driver.

AMD High-Definition (HD) Graphics Driver

Also here is the description of the functionality from the download page:

This package provides the AMD High-Definition (HD) Graphics Driver and Catalyst Control Center for supported notebook models that are running a supported operating system. For notebooks with switchable graphics modes, this package includes drivers for both graphics processing units (GPUs). Switchable graphics enable users to switch between a power-saving graphics mode (normally used under battery power) and a high-performance graphics mode. If high-definition multimedia interface (HDMI) video output is supported, this package also installs the HDMI Audio Driver.

Malygris1
I work on behalf of HP
Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
HP Recommended

I used driver fusion to delete all the old drivers, then restarted, and instaled the one from the link. It does not appear to have done anything. I also forgot to say that I am running window 7.

I ran the instaler a second time just for the hell of it and it instaled some other things that it did not the first time. It now appears that my switchable graphics work. But now that the graphics are working, can you tell me if it will break if I just update the AMD drivers when a patch comes out for GTA 5?

HP Recommended

@supersadness

I am happy to hear that worked for you.

As to your question, there is no way to say for certain, but I would recommend against it. The driver from AMD will likely not work correctly, for several reasons, some of which relate to switchable graphics, but also because the drivers that AMD produces for general consumption are more geared for desktop computers. They themselves would recommend that you use the drivers that HP and other notebook vendors, customize specifically for the set of hardware in a notebook. There are many functions in the general graphics driver that are normally locked down to prevent damage to your system by the excess heat produced and also due to the design philosophy of notebooks in general, to provide portability, and as much battery life as possible in as compact and lightweight a package as possible. Because of this, the reduced airflow, components chosen for lower power consumption, etc., a notebook is not really capable of the flexibility, and upgradability of a desktop. But again its main purpose is portability.

I hope this helps explain.

Malygris1
I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

One last thing. It appears that the instalation of the new drivers as messed with the computers ability to wake from sleep. After I try to wake it from sleep, the fan comes on and the power led goes solid, but the screen does not turn on. I can even type in my password and hear the logging in sound. My power setting is high performance.

HP Recommended

@supersadness,

It is one of the joys of making changes in a system, when so many things can be affected, they often are. Anyway, take a look through the following pages; it is likely you can find your solution within the troubleshooting page.

HP PCs - Troubleshooting sleep and hibernate issues (Windows 7)

HP Notebook PCs - Managing Power Options (Windows 7 and Vista)

Let me know if that works for you.

Malygris1
I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

I have updated both windows and the Bios and looked through the rest of the ideas, but the problem still persists.

HP Recommended

@supersadness

I reread your previous post and realized that what you describe is not about the sleep/hibernate mode.  Try out these pages instead.

Troubleshooting Black Screen Displays with No Error Messages During Startup or Boot

Resolving Problems with Notebook Displays (Windows 7 and Windows 😎
Resolving Problems with the Brightness of the Display

Malygris1
I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

I don't think the problem is with the hardware, as after I preform a hard reset everything is back to normal. It almost looks like when I wake the computer up out of sleep mode, everything powers up like it should except the screen. I also don't think the links will be very much help as I don't have an extra monitor nor do I know anyone who I could borrow one from. In my online research many people said it was an issue with the graphics drivers, though, I'm not sure how accurate that assesment is. Could you also link me the bios update I should use just to make sure I'm not messing something up?

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.