Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
EliteBook 840 G1
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

So this is pretty much driving me insane. MS decided in its infinate wisdom to make a new ATI driver mandatory through WU. This caused all kinds of crazyness and I decided to reinstall.

Now this has happende before too by the way:

Switchable graphics driving me insane! The computer is docked 90% of the time, and it has 3 external monitors (two DP and one VGA) this used to work fine.

Now, it's just stuck on Intel graphics which doesn't display more than ONE external monitor (on VGA) and there is no way to switch to ATI! No fixed mode / dynamic mode options in CCC, no BIOS parameters - nothing.

I tried 4 different AMD drivers - nothing.

If I disable the Intel adapter, it STILL uses the Windows Basic Display adapter, even though device manager sees both adapters.

Even better - if I uninstall the AMD driver and disable the Intel adapter - now I have three monitors running on Windows Basic Display adapter!! But ONLY DP, not VGA!

At this time I feel like I've tried everything, the only thing I've learned so far is that Switchable Graphics is a steaming hot pile of turd. Can I just plug in my monitors and use them? Is that possible?

And yes, everything is updated and I've even tried setting every single setting to Maximum Performance, the display adapter just laughs in my face.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Just because Windows update provides an optional  hardware driver update does not mean that you should apply it.  Ask Microsoft  in the Community and someone will tell you that. That is why hardware video driver updates are, as far as I have ever seen, always optional.  Microsoft knows that the manufacturers of notebooks produce notebooks that require the use of proprietary driver software that has been specially modified to allow operation of the special features. HP provides you with special video driver software for your AMD (ATI) video graphics module.

When you own a notebook with a special hardware features, such as switchable graphics you should never apply video driver updates from Windows updates.

Only apply the AMD driver updates that become available in the download section of the support portal for your notebook. Never install the Intel graphics driver software seperately since that will also cause switchable graphics to stop working.

In order to return the switchable graphics to your notebook you will need to download and run the AMD graphics driver from the the download section of the support portal for your notebook. Run it twice. The first time you will need to uninstall everything. On the second install, install everything. 

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If my post was helpful or you just want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Tried that - didn't work either. Still stuck on Intel. I can configure Switchable Graphics til my hearts delight, but it doesn't do a lick of difference.

I should say I am now on W10 (though I had the exact same issue on 8.1) - and the drivers DO come as mandatory. I uninstalled them 4 times and they kept coming back.

I'm now on 14.3 (from HP); though the last time I got from WU it still worked, and that was 15.2.

So, still the same!

HP Recommended

@stkristobal wrote:

Tried that - didn't work either. Still stuck on Intel. I can configure Switchable Graphics til my hearts delight, but it doesn't do a lick of difference.

I should say I am now on W10 (though I had the exact same issue on 8.1) - and the drivers DO come as mandatory. I uninstalled them 4 times and they kept coming back.

I'm now on 14.3 (from HP); though the last time I got from WU it still worked, and that was 15.2.

So, still the same!

You are not on Windows 10. Windows 10 Technical Preview, which is a beta OS, is the only available Windows 10 version currently available. Which build are you running? I have builds 10162 and 10147 running on a few of my devices at home.

Now that you have stated what your OS is, and it happens to be in Beta state, the best options, in my opinion, are to either switch back to Windows 8.1 or try installing the  AMD graphics driver in compatibility mode.  Installing the AMD driver in compatibility mode may or may not be successful.  

I am quite interested in your results as I happen to have an Omen 15 as my current product loan. I won't upgrade it to Windows 10 before I donate it to a non-profit organization at the end of the year if the graphics drive does not enable switchable graphics. I like switchable graphics for my first person shooters. 

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If my post was helpful or you just want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

It is not a beta OS, 10162 is within a week of RTM; and it has been working fine since the early 9000-builds for me, never had a single graphics hiccup until now. These build will keep rolling even after RTM - we're not in a world of betas, finals and SP's anymore.

AMD states that they won't make 'Windows 10 drivers' as W10 uses the same driver stack as 8.1. No changes necessary. Intel says to use the driver provided by MS.

As mentioned, everything has worked before; and I had the same issue on W 8.1 earlier. I am baffeled by the fact that there is no way to force the 840 to use AMD card. Even HPs own guide indicates that there should be an option in CCC - that has never been there. And there is no Fixed Mode / Dynamic Mode in BIOS, as indicated on other models.

No I've gotten as far as two external monitors (both on DP); which is better. Still can't get the VGA monitor up though.

HP Recommended

I have just finished managing to have my switchable adapter to get to work after installing Windows7 64bits!

Just do the following, its simple: first you have to install Intel HD graphics adapter drivers, from HP website, later you do install the AMD drivers.

If you dont install them on this order it will not work. Remember to unistall previous versions of AMD drivers and Intel Graphics card drivers before going through the steps above.

Hope it works for you

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.