Unable to adjust screen brightness - Windows 8.1 - HP 2000-2b53CA (331 Views)
Top Student
Balathustrius
Message 1 of 10 (331 Views)

Unable to adjust screen brightness - Windows 8.1 - HP 2000-2b53CA

I am unable to adjust the screen brightness on my HP 2000-2b53CA Notebook PC, either with the built in keyboard buttons or from the Windows 8 Charms menu.

I have the laptop updated to Windows 8.1 and have tried installing and uninstalling multiple different Intel video drivers, all direct from the HP Support page with no luck.

As the laptop is stuck at it's absolute maximum brightness, it's basically unasable without a third party app I found called "Desktop Lighter".

Any help would be greatly appreciated! I much prefer having the keyboard keys working to control my brightness.

Thank you!

Top Student
Balathustrius
Message 2 of 10 (302 Views)

Re: Unable to adjust screen brightness - Windows 8.1 - HP 2000-2b53CA

Anybody?

HP Support Agent
TwoPointOh
Message 3 of 10 (281 Views)

Hi Balathustrius, welcome to the HP Forums. Usually turning adaptive brightness off resolves this issue. Try it using this for reference:  Adaptive Brightness - Turn On or Off in Windows 8

Let me know if this does the trick for you.

TwoPointOh
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the left to say “Thanks” for helping!
Top Student
Balathustrius
Message 4 of 10 (265 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi TwoPointOh,

No, Adaptive Brightness is turned off already. :smileysad:

HP Support Agent
TwoPointOh
Message 5 of 10 (247 Views)

Well, we still have options Balathustrius. Try this: Resolving Problems with the Brightness of the Display

TwoPointOh
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Top Student
Balathustrius
Message 6 of 10 (235 Views)

Sorry, none of those methods helped.

HP Support Agent
TwoPointOh
Message 7 of 10 (215 Views)

The quick buttons to adjust brightness, are enabled by the HP Quick Launch software. The problem is that you cannot adjust them from the Windows settings, so the buttons won't work, as they simply do the adjustment through the Windows settings.

Since it is most likely driver related, you should perhaps restore the original graphics driver, and then install the updated drivers.
Using Recovery Manager to Restore Software and Drivers (Windows 8)
Intel High-Definition (HD) Graphics Driver Version10.18.10.3304

Let me know if this helps.

TwoPointOh
I work on behalf of HP

Top Student
Balathustrius
Message 8 of 10 (210 Views)

As I mentioned in my original post, I have tried basically every driver under the sun including, but not limited to the following:

From HP Support Page:

1.JPG

Direct from Intel:

2.JPG

I have even installed the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter driver as part of my troubleshooting steps. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the original driver a couple times as well.

All no good.

HP Support Agent
TwoPointOh
Message 9 of 10 (203 Views)

In that case you really only have 1 option left. If a complete HP Recovery does not resolve it: Performing an HP System Recovery (Windows 8), then it is safe to assume that you may be experiencing hardware failure. In which case you can contact support for repair options: HP Technical Support, North America 1-800-474-6836. For all other regions click here.

TwoPointOh
I work on behalf of HP

Top Student
sclasby
Message 10 of 10 (140 Views)

I was nearly scared off of updating from Win 8 to 8.1 by all the postings of people who couldn't adjust the screen brightness after upgrading. Anyhow, I did it....what the heck....sure enough I couldn't adjust the brightness, my video went all jumpy when streaming and the video quality was poor. Took me an hour to track down the problem....go to HP Support, follow the link to detect my computer, let HP scan my computer and come up with a list of driver updates. Downloaded Inte HD video packae plu utilities, install that and bingo! Everything works fine. I'm not saying this would work for all computers but as mine is a new machine I really felt it should be capable of running Windows 8.1......Don't be afraid, there's usually an answer to these things....!!!! Sorry if i've posted this in the wrong place .......

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation