Question

Student
PCFred
Message 1 of 13 (4,749 Views)

Video problem. Audio but no video, just green screen on video

HP ENVY dv6-7323cl Notebook PC, Windows 8.  My videos from various sources are not playing correctly.  I hear the audio, but do not see the video.  Picture shows as green or black, and the progress bar does not progress.  This is a new laptop.  Am not aware of changing anything.  Tryed looking at videos from Facebook, and from TV show website.  Both had same result.

Regents Professor
UniProg
Message 2 of 13 (4,737 Views)

Re: Video problem. Audio but no video, just green screen on video

Hello PCFred,

Did your notebook play videos in the past, then all of a sudden give the scenario you mention, with the green or black showing, and audio playing?

I'd like you to view this document and use Recovery Manager to Restore your Software and Drivers.  Please let me know if that helps resolve your issue.

Good luck!

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓
Top Student
Matilf
Message 3 of 13 (4,707 Views)

I have exactly the same problem and it occurred out of the box. It played two videos and then on the third one the picture disappeared, replaced by a black screen, and would not play the previous video either. This is not something that the user has done; it's a bug and Windows/HP need to fix it. I've been told it's an incompatibilty between Flash and Win 7/8.

Professor
npw05001
Message 4 of 13 (4,691 Views)

Hello Matilf,

I see that you are having problems playing videos on your computer. I would like to help with this issue but I need some information.

Can you provide the model and product number of the computer? Here is a link that shows how to find that information.

Is it all videos on the internet? What operating system are you using?

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓

Top Student
Matilf
Message 5 of 13 (4,685 Views)

I'm using a Pavilion g7 notebook PC, Windows 8.

Product number is C3Q78UA#ABA

No it is not all videos. I was able to get some to play by a work-around of first starting IE and then clicking on the tools and say run it from the desktop, but it ran two and then refused to run any more. It is a private site (paid online course) and I can't post a url that you can use for testing. Lots of people are having the same trouble with the videos, and the run through the desktop solution was suggested by one of them. Perhaps they did not try to run sequential videos as I did and may not have realized that there is a limit to how many. Someone referred to a "white list" associated with IE but I have no idea what that is.

Professor
npw05001
Message 6 of 13 (4,679 Views)

Have you tried resetting the internet explorer settings? Here is a link that shows how to find that information.

You can also try uninstalling and reinstalling the adobe flash player.

Signature

Top Student
Matilf
Message 7 of 13 (4,677 Views)

Windows 8 comes with Flash integral to it. You don't have to download it because you already have it. There isn't any possbility that the IE settings have been changed; this laptop has not been used.

Professor
npw05001
Message 8 of 13 (4,676 Views)

Sorry about that missed the Windows 8 part of it,

Do you have problems in the metro and desktop version of internet explorer? If it is just specific to the site there may be a compatibility issue with Windows 8 or IE10.

Signature

Top Student
Matilf
Message 9 of 13 (4,675 Views)

Let's change the topic a little. The reason I'm using this impossible-to-navigate Win 8 computer is that my own Win 7 computer went belly up in terms of playing anything at all. a couple of weeks ago. Before that, no problem. It was a sudden change, and I don't visit questionable web sites. HP fiddled with the Dr Beats because I was trying to get stereo separation (a MUST have) which they were not ableto do, but I typed in some IP somewhere they told me to. Or it might be one of the Windows/HP automatic downloads that install whether I want them to or not. Facebook will not load in any reasonable time (many minutes to register that I clicked on something.) I got it to play these same videos by uninstalling Flash and downloading Chrome, but it literally takes ten minutes to load a two minute video, and after a few in a row it also displays a black screen requiring a reboot. It appears to be a DNS problem but I have zero idea on how to fix that. The computer is still in warrenty but I have found little help from HP, who with every problem I've had want me to send it back and do without it for three weeks, which is impossible. That computer is also a Pavilion, dv6, windows 7 home premium (which at least is useable, unlike W8,) product number B6S13UA#ABA. If I can fix that problem I won't have to go buy a Mac tomorrow.

Professor
npw05001
Message 10 of 13 (4,670 Views)

I would try and do a clean boot on that computer. Here is a link that shows how to do a clean boot on the system. The clean boot may improve the load times on the computer.

Signature

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation