Question

Top Student
karmajuney
Message 1 of 4 (4,052 Views)

Webcam not working. HP Pavilion dv7-6135dx

About a month ago i got the HP Pavilion dv7-6135dx Entertainment pc and everything was working. Suddenly the microphone and the Webcam are not working. They are not phisicaly damaged and when i go to Control Panel > Device manager

"Imaging Devices" is not there. I have scanned for update changes and restored and it still is not working. Is there a driver i can download to fix it or anything i can do?

Provost
DavidPK
Message 2 of 4 (4,048 Views)

Re: Webcam not working. HP Pavilion dv7-6135dx

Hi,

Try running Windows System Restore.  If you have Norton Internet Security installed, you will need to disable Nortons Tamper Protection as shown in Step 2, on the link below.

http://us.norton.com/support/kb/web_view.jsp?wv_type=public_web&docurl=20091112171719EN&ln=en_US

Once you've done this, shut down the notebook.  Windows System Restore is usaully best run in Safe Mode.  Tap away at f8 as you start the notebook to enter Windows Recovery Console.  Use the arrow keys to select Safe Mode and hit enter.  When this has loaded, from the Start Menu, click All Programs, click Accessories, click System Tools and launch System Restore.  Pick a restore point at least 24 hours before the issue with the Microphone and Webcam and then proceed with the restore process.  When complete, Windows will reboot as normal.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Top Student
karmajuney
Message 3 of 4 (4,022 Views)

i already tryed the system restore and it didn't chance anything and i even restored it to defult settings and it is still not there. i keep getting code 10. I do not run northen ether

Associate Dean
Dragon-Fur
Message 4 of 4 (4,011 Views)

[ Edited ]

Welcome to Webcam Disaster Zone.

Lots of folks do not have to send in their systems for hardware repair:

• Sometimes it is a driver:  One can reinstall the old driver, install a new one, disable and re-enable, kick the driver and it responds
  • Sometines it is a dirty registry:  webcam software, old drivers, bits - windows registries need a good cleaning on occasion.  Get and use a good registry cleaner.  CCleaner is free or find another that you like.
  • Sometimes it is a bad power set: A hard power reset might kick it free - essentiallly, disconnect everything, take out the battery, press the power button for 15 seconds, put it all back together.  Voila. 

From Member Kalt - The Hard Reset fix for webcam not working:

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Display-and-Video/my-webcam-is-not-working/td-p/979645

• Sometimes is it just everything:  Reloading the OS (and all your software) fixes it.  A royal pain but sometimes it works. 

Other times, the webcam is just dead.  The wire is loose.  It comes loose, it was always loose, whatever. 

When the wire is loose, it is loose either at the motherboard or near the camera end.  There is a helpful member article (IF your system is NOT, NOT under warranty) on how to fix this.  Wow. 

After you have read all the zillions of articles on webcams, and you've tried everything (driver updates, driver reloads, factory resets, finding and losing the webcam in the Device Manager --> Imaging Devices List...

If nothing works for you, then you decide whether to send it in for Repair.  So, Read, Read.

My new dv7t is on it's way back from HP - it took me two weeks to decide to strip all my software off of it (just bought it in August) and send it in.  It took them two days to fix it:  Loose Wire.  No cost.

Good Luck!

Kind Regards,
Dragon-Fur
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation