Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
DV7-4280us entertainment PC
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hi,

Since a week, when ever i use my webcam either in skype, gmail, youcam or in anyother call it turns off after a few minutes and turns on again. and this continues. Especially when the cam truns off the Imgaing devices driver dissapears from Device manager. I have tried the following and nothing really worked.

1. I have un-installed and re-installed the cam drivers but this doesn't change anything. 

2. I have used CCleaner to fix registry errors, didn't work.

3. Tried to update the driver software and it shows i have the latest version.

4. Tried to install Mediasmart Webcam software for my product number and surprisingly, a window opens shwoing the installation status and then dissapears (same happened while installing Media smart DVD driver) *** I think this might be linked with the webcam behaving this way. 

5. I have read in the forums that updating skype or flashplayer might cause such problem, so un installed skype and flash player, Viber and nothing happened. 

6. Made a full windows update, restarted the system, didn't work.

7. Turned off the system, removed the battery for a while and then started it again, didn't work. 

8. HP software troubleshoot says i have no issues with software. 

Note: When the webcam turns off the drivers dissapear from the device manager. and after mostly a minute or two the drivers re-appear and the webcam works. and it repeats again after few minutes. 

Kindly, i request someone to help me out of this issue. 

Thanks in advance. 

Product number: XZ027UA#ABA

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi  @Indoswede ,

Welcome to the HP Forums!:smileyhappy:

It is a great  place to find answers and suggestions!

For you to have the best experience in the HP forum I would like to direct your attention to the HP Forums Guide Learn How to Post and More

I grasp that your Webcam works and then suddenly does not work.Then it reappears and the process starts over again,  When this happens the driver disappears and reappears in Device Manger.

Does the Webcam remain recognized by Device Manager when this happens and it is just the driver that disappears?

Have you ran the Windows troubleshooter ?

Have you checked for viruses and malware?  Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool

Here is a link to  Webcam Troubleshooting (Windows 7)

You can also check for this setting.

Go to start and run

Type services and press enter

Scroll through  the list and locate the Windows installer and ensure it is started and set to automatic.

Good Luck!

Sparkles1

HP Recommended

#Does the Webcam remain recognized by Device Manager when this happens and it is just the driver that disappears?

Hello Sparkles,

No, when the driver dissapears even the webcam dissapears. any device that is using the webcam says  "connection lost".

yes i have run a full system scan and there are no big threats. I have a licensed avast software, so i hope it is still working. 

I have used the windows trouble shooter. Nothing worked.  i have lots of work and i dont want to format the system anytime soon as i have lot of information stored. 

anyother ideas? 

Thanks.

HP Recommended

Its a lose cable near webcam plug itself , remove screen bezel around it and try to re-plug it.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.