Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Windows 7

Hi

Product Name dv6-6093ex

Product Number LM610EA

HP community claim that the graphics card installed on my system is an AMD Radeon HD 6770M (1 GB DDR5).

However, I think that it is an ATI Radeon HD 6770M (1 GB DDR5) since I have noticed  ATI Radeon on the results  when running a hardware reading program:

First:: If my Graphics installed were AMD Radeon HD 6770M, then why The CPU-z program showed me ATI Radeon.

Capture1.JPG

Also, in the existing package in the screen shot below, there is ATI Display Adapter

Packages.JPG

Capture3.JPG

Second: If my Graphics installed were AMD Radeon HD 6770M, then why The Windows 8 Upgrade assistnat program showed me ATI Catalyst Control Center

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@cooperator ,

Hello again.  "A Graphics Processing Unit is a co-processor that takes on graphical calculations and transformations so that the main CPU does not have to be burdened by them. The use of a GPU can greatly increase the performance of a device, especially when used for tasks such as 3D gaming."

Source Google.com

Now with a normal desktop computer you have a motherboard with sometimes more than one PCI Express slot for graphics cards.  As well it is rare for a desktop to have a GPU.  They will either have an onboard Video card or up to multiple PCI express cards to handle video.

With the notebook the GPU is a co-processor built in with the CPU.  The in your case you still have the Dedicated Graphics card.  This dedicated card is built right into the motherboard.  So if the GPU dies you will want to replace the CPU/GPU if the dedicated fails then you are off to a new motherboard.

That is the extent of it.  I hope it has helped you.  Have a great day.

Please click the "Thumbs Up" on the bottom right of this post to say thank you if you appreciate the support I provide!

Also be sure to mark my post as “Accept as Solution" if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others who face the same challenge find the same solution.

D5GR
I work on behalf of HP

View solution in original post

20 REPLIES 20
HP Recommended

@cooperator ,

Hello and welcome back to the HP support forums.  I would like to help you out here but I would need for your question to be a little more direct.

Are you asking do you have an ATI radeon graphics controller? 

Here is your service and user guide link it will show you what you have and as well as your spec page.

These links contain  all the answers you will need.

HP Pavilion dv6-6093ex Entertainment Notebook PC User guides

HP Pavilion dv6-6093ex Entertainment Notebook PC Product Specifications

I hope this helps.

Thank you again for posting and have a great day.

Please click the "Thumbs Up" on the bottom right of this post to say thank you if you appreciate the support I provide!

Also be sure to mark my post as “Accept as Solution" if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others who face the same challenge find the same solution.

D5GR
I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Thanks a lot,

I think that my question has been  far too much more direct to be rephrased again.

However, I would be saying that I have that document called 'HP Pavilion dv6-6093ex Entertainment Notebook PC Product Specifications'. And yes, my Graphics Card is AMD Radeon HD 6770M (1 GB DDR5). in that document.

Yes, I've been asking about  if I have an ATI OR AMD radeon graphics controller?

If you could  have seen my screen shots well,  you would understand me well since you would be seeing there were no thing mentioned about AMD Radeon, however, ATI Radeon is mentioned.???( I have resored my System from HP Factory Partition to be quite sure that all drivers, and application software are the original HP ones.

However, as said before, I think that it is an ATI Radeon HD 6770M (1 GB DDR5) since I have noticed ATI Radeon on the results when running a hardware reading program called CPU-Z.

First:: If my Graphics installed was AMD Radeon HD 6770M, then why would the CPU-z program show me 'ATI Radeon.' as shown in the screen shot below, instead of 'AMD Radeon'.(Please see the arrow in the screen shot below)

Kind of Graphics card I have.jpg

Also, in the existing installed package in the screen shot below, there is 'ATI Display Adapter'

Packages.JPG

This screen shots for Integrated GUP(Intle):

Capture3.JPG

Second:  Also, If my Graphics installed were AMD Radeon HD 6770M, then why The Windows 8 Upgrade assistnat program showed me "ATI Catalyst Control Center" in the program might need to be reinstalled when I upgrade from Windows 7 into Windows 8. I have not thing about ATI as you claim, then why I have seen ATI in many places, such as this one'ATI Catalyst Control Center' which Windows 8 showed me

HP Recommended

@cooperator ,

Thank you for posting back.  I can not comment on what a 3rd party program is showing.  What i can tell you is if you look into the device manager and open up the question hard ware.  You will see what is detected.  As well you will find the supported drivers and software for the notebook on the HP support page for your system.

Sorry for any confusion on asking for any clarification.

Have a great day and thank you for posting

D5GR
I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Thanks a lot,

Yes, I think that Manufacturer is 'ATI' which is the company making the AMD Redeon Graphics.

Manufacturer 'ATI' is the company made the AMD Redeon Graphics.JPG

HP Recommended

Could you please reply to me to finish this post and mark it as solved?

HP Recommended

@cooperator ,

Hello and thank you for posting back.  I am sorry I didnt realise that you where not aware of AMD being the parent company of ATI. 

AMD bought out ATI.

This was done almost ten years ago here are some links to this information.

AMD buying ATI for $5.4 billion

Products We Design

AMD Radeon™ R5 Series Graphics

So depending on what was burned into the chip when it was built it could say the old school ATI lable or it could have the parent brand AMD.  bottom line is that when you are working with your system you will want to run the supported graphics drivers that are provided by HP for the best response.

I hope this clears things up finally for you.  Have a great day.

D5GR
I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Hi,

That is good idea. Thanks a lot,

Then you think this is why I am keeping seeing ATI on the hardware-reading software. CPUZ.

Kind of Graphics card I have.jpg

HP Recommended

@cooperator ,

Thank you again for posting back.  I think what is happening is that the 3rd party software that is showing the ATI graphics is using some kind of preset code that looks for certain identification in the chips.  Basically what it was designed to do is if you see Chip Identification "A" it is a graphics card. If you see Chip Identification "B" it is a sound card. 

Then when it determines what kind of hard ware it matches a second set of information.  So if it sees "C" this must be "Intel"  If you see "D" you see ATI.  And this is probably based on some older information that was used when creating the software.

Now that AMD owns ATI they still use the ATI design presets so the software sees this and marks it as an ATI Chip.  Even though it is AMD.

I hope this was helpfull.  Have a great day and thank you again for posting.

D5GR
I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Thanks a lot,

I really have used another hardware-reading software, and it explicitly showed me :

ATI Radeon, and it didn't show me ADM Radeon.

Graphics.JPG

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.