Question

Top Student
rob_jones51
Message 1 of 3 (3,687 Views)
Accepted Solution

Where do I find the lid actuator switch?

I have a Compaq Presario CQ61-222SA Notebook and looking through HP support leads me to believe that the lid actuator switch is faulty.

During the startup process the display is very dim and barely readable. It remains dim when it reaches the Windows desktop but everything else seems to work fine (sound etc).  Compaq technical support site says the likely cause is the lid actuator switch as the laptop thinks the lid is closed and so goes into a power save mode dimming the screen.

When connecting to an external display the laptop screen goes to its usual brightness for a few seconds then dims again - the external display works perfectly but I have a laptop to be able to use it where I want, not be stuck to the desk where my monitor sits!  The few seconds of normal screen brightness makes me think there isn't a problem with the backlight.

Looking at the forums this seems to be a fairly common problem with HP laptops but nobody seems to pinpoint where the lid actuator switch is.  Is it an internal switch as I can't find one on the outside?

Top Student
rob_jones51
Message 2 of 3 (3,658 Views)

Re: Where do I find the lid actuator switch?

I ended up taking the lap top apart and found that a small rectangular magnet had dislodged from its holding in the plastic screen surround.  The magnet should be located in a slot just below where the 'compaq' logo is printed (but on the inside so out of sight until you take the computer apart).  The magnet had attached itself to a piece of electornics which i assume is the acuator switch so the laptop thought the lid was permanantly closed.  Once removed and glued (and taped just in case) back into its slot all worked fine.

Hope this is of use to others.

Student
Luidex
Message 3 of 3 (205 Views)

Re: Where do I find the lid actuator switch?

All I can say is thank you very much! I have searched the whole internet looking for somewhere that tells me where that magnet is. Now I just need to find the switch that the magnet actuates. I'll make a post once I find it.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation