Question

Honor Student
ManniFreshh
Message 1 of 22 (9,886 Views)

White screen on HP dv4

Today when I turned on my laptop I got nothing but a white screen. It sounded as if everything was working, but I could nto see anything. I then looked online (on my phone) of what the problem could be and potentially fixing it. There was a suggestion that said to plug in an external monitor into VGA slot and see if any picture comes up. I did this and eventually my computer started back up. I had to do some repair work before my system actually started up, but nontheless, it is working (on external monitor). My question is now, how do I go about fixing my screen and what exactly could be wrong with it? From what I understand, it has nothing to do with brightness or any other settings from my laptop (I tried changing brightness and other visual problems). What could be wrong, in my opinion, is the connection to the LCD screen, or the video displaying, or lack there of. Everything is working perfectly fine on my notebook, I just have to use an external monitor to actually use my computer. What would be my next course of action? I am in great need of my laptop, as I use it for school everyday.

Laptop information:

HP dv4-2045dx Entertainment Notebook

Windows 7 Home Premium

64-bit

AMD Premium vision

Please let me know if there is any repair I can do myself, instead of having to wait and send it out to HP.

Thank you,
Manouela. 

Honor Student
k8neville
Message 2 of 22 (9,876 Views)

Re: White screen on HP dv4

Wow! I just had the same problem this morning -- spent about 45minutes with nice service man who eventually said it was probably a loose wire and needed to be sent in to HP.

While juggling laptop to look at various ports on the side, the screen suddenly became visible while tilted at a 45* angle. Kept it that way for about 15 minutes, then very gently set is down on the sofa. It's still on, and running through a restore. {I'm on my daughter's laptop right now}

Looking now for advice on how to check the loose wire myself. On previous laptops I've installed RAM and replaced a video card, so I'm not shy about opening up the inside.

Igz Honor Student
Honor Student
Igz
Message 3 of 22 (9,860 Views)

Hi everyone,

I am having this same exact problem, down to the issues with 45 degree angles the screen looking ok.  I thought it might be a loose wire between the board and display so I took the laptop apart and disconnected / reconnected everything.  Now all I get is a white screen on bootup.  This seems to be a frequently reported problem, but I have been unable to find a solution online.  Obviously connecting to an external monitor shows an intact display on that end.  Direction much appreciated!

Honor Student
ManniFreshh
Message 4 of 22 (9,840 Views)

So lifting the notebook at 45 degrees is not helping..I can see that it is trying to make some kind of connection, as it tried to turn back to the screen, but nothing really happens. It flickers to black and goes back to white again..so the tilting doesn't work for me. Maybe I will just take the display apart or get to it and see if there is something that is loose. I found the instruction manual for my laptop at: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/manualCategory?cc=us&dlc=en&lang=en&lc=en&product=4041680& (though this is only for the pavilion dv4: http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c01963667.pdf). I guess just try and find the manuals for your notebooks and take apart the display yourselves? I am not really sure what to do..I am going to wait a few more days to see what others suggest, then I will just back everything up prior to me taking apart my laptop.

Best of luck..I guess.

Honor Student
k8neville
Message 5 of 22 (9,836 Views)

since my laptop is still under warranty, I chose to send it in for repair, though i was tempted to try to fix it myself. now I'm stuck on my daughter's old XP Dell laptop, with a cracked body and unusable left side of touchpad (thank goodness for USB mice). It's slow, but at least I can work.

I'm also glad I use Carbonite!

Good luck to my fellow white-screeners.

Student
salo13
Message 6 of 22 (9,828 Views)

I actually had this happen to my Dv4 as well. I knew it was jus the screen since I could plug in an external display and it worked, HP replaced the screen for me twice (which required sending it in and going without a laptop for a short period of time), it happened a third time and they replaced the entire laptop finally, Hasnt happened since. I now have the DV4 1431us, slightly different looking from my original. If you are in warranty, just send it in. I hope you get it fixed, I know how crappy that problem is!

Igz Honor Student
Honor Student
Igz
Message 7 of 22 (9,797 Views)

So I was able to resolve this problem.

A couple more google searches yielded a very direct, blunt assessment: white screen equals fault with cable or screen itself.

In my case, because the lcd screen produced an image at certain angles, I hedged to replace the cable first.

Below is an image of what appears to be a frayed cable.  I dissected the enclosure, but the cable was broken beforehand.

This is clearly a design flaw in that the hinge wears this down each time the case is opened / closed.

Approx 15$ replacement cable on ebay, but teardown/putting back together time will vary.

photo.PNG

Honor Student
k8neville
Message 8 of 22 (9,777 Views)

thanks for the information. I sent mine in to HP for repair, 'cause it was still under warranty. I fedexed it on a monday and it was back by the end of wednesday. I assume they knew exactly what the problem was, since it was such a quick fix. I'll bear your advice in mind in case the problem happens again!

Top Student
EPGolfs
Message 9 of 22 (8,879 Views)

Technician at a LRS here:  I've seen about every DV Series problem that's ever happened, but this is a new one.  Had the white screen & first thing I replaced was the inverter. ($7.86 shipped - Amazon.) That didn't correct the problem, so I tried a new screen. (Had the exact one in stock, so that one didn't cost me.) No change. White screen only. (BTW - the external display works perfectly w/ VGA out.)

Next, I checked the flex cable & sure enough, the cable was pancaked underneath the hinge.  Since it was in such poor shape, I decided to replace it anyways. ($10.19 shipped - Amazon.)  Fired it up & BAM!  Nothing. Nada. Same white screen.

Long story short: It appears that at least in SOME cases, there's much more to it than just the cable/hinge isue.  It would definitely seem to be a hardware-based problem, considering ALL the other components have been replaced.  This is a DV4-1313DX.  AMD Processor / ATI Graphics.

Top Student
sl561
Message 10 of 22 (8,866 Views)

When talking about a "white screen" are you talking about a screen that is really white.... or a blank screen that is back lit?  My situation is the latter.   It may have been coincidental, but my display has been gone since restarting the computer after an automatic microsoft update last week.  I currently have the laptop....a DV4 1543... connected to my TV as a monitor.  The computer is working fine.  The display just doesn't work.  I've tried moving the lid around as suggested here, but it makes no difference.  I have also done a hard boot, as well as removing and replacing the memory and harddrive.  Nothing has worked.  I'm about 9 months out of warranty and HP wants $350 for shipping and repair, which is half the cost of a new computer.  I'm very frustrated.  Could it be a bad video card? 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation