Question

Student
suedecity
Message 1 of 5 (1,816 Views)

White screen on Pavilion-DV7 - sent to hp while warranty valid, they did not fix it.

Hi, I sent my laptop into HP about 2 months ago via geek squad (didn't want to but had warranty through them still).  First geek squad tried telling me it was a virus, i reformatted (including deleting and creating a brand new partition), same issue - my screen stays white about 90% of the time, can't do anything.  I haven't dropped it and take good care of it.  Anyways, after it's not a virus I bring it back and tell geek squad that wasn't the issue, fix it.  A week later they call me and tell me "you're right that wasn't the issue we will have to send it off to HP for them to fix it or send you a new one."  A full month passes and they tell me it's ready to be picked up so I pick it up.  I turn it on, 30 minutes later I get the same white screen and now my warranty is expired and they won't do anything for me.  I'm sure it's just the connector between the display screen but I don't know much about laptops or i'd fix it myself.  I can run it through my roommates TV which I obviously have limited access to.  So I either have to fork out money for a monitor, pay a REAL repair person to fix it or just be SOL out of almost 1200 dollars because HP doesn't want to take responsibility for their faulty hardware.  Any help would be very appreciated, sorry if I seemed to rant this is VERY frusterating as I do a lot of work on the computer and have been unable to for the last few months this has been happening not mention just wanting to use the product I spent so much money on, you put your trust in a company and this is the thanks you get.

Honor Student
jbat
Message 2 of 5 (1,377 Views)

Re: White screen on Pavilion-DV7 - sent to hp while warranty valid, they did not fix it.

My two-year-old $1200 HP Pavilion dv7-4190us Entertainment Notebook just started showing only a blank white screen (connecting an external monitor reveals that the computer itself is working fine). Of course, it is out of warranty.

Seems that many people are experiencing this problem on their HP DV7 notebooks, which suggests this may be a design flaw. If so, HP should make reairs for free or at least at a reduced price.

Honor Student
DrSweet
Message 3 of 5 (1,358 Views)

Re: White screen on Pavilion-DV7 - sent to hp while warranty valid, they did not fix it.

I just started having an identical problem with my 4 year old G60-127NR.  If I tilt open the screen to almost verticle, the screen goes white.  If I tilt the screen on its hinges closer to the front of the laptop, the display returns and the programs work fine.  This must be a cable connection problem.  When I close the screen and then open it again, the problem gets worse and I have to tilt the screen even closer to the front to eliminate the white screen.  I guess this is going to require shop service.

Honor Student
DrSweet
Message 4 of 5 (1,358 Views)

I just started having an identical problem with my 4 year old G60-127NR.  If I tilt open the screen to almost verticle, the screen goes white.  If I tilt the screen on its hinges closer to the front of the laptop, the display returns and the programs work fine.  This must be a cable connection problem.  When I close the screen and then open it again, the problem gets worse and I have to tilt the screen even closer to the front to eliminate the white screen.  I guess this is going to require shop service.

Honor Student
jbat
Message 5 of 5 (1,353 Views)

Hi Dr. Sweet-

From what I have read it does sound as if the video cable is damaged in the area where it goes through the hinge. That may be the problem with mine also, but my screen stays blank white even when I move the display from fully open to almost closed. I did find some videos on YouTube showing how to dismantle the DV7 notebook, so will be trying that next week (right now the notebook is still being used attached to a monitor).

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation