Question

Top Student
Brewster
Message 1 of 9 (4,253 Views)

Why does my graphics driver keep crashing whenever I watch a movie?!

Whenever I watch movies on my computer, (.avi files), I get partially into them and then the audio and video stop synching, and eventually the graphics driver crashes.  I have the NVIDIA geForce 7150m, 4 gb of RAM, ect, ect.  Can anyone please help me?  I've already checked for driver updates, done defrags, tried watching the movies AFTER closing everything in my taskbar.  It's maddening!  There isn't any reason, (that I can see), that this computer shouldn't be able to get through a simple movie!  I also run the 64 bit version of vista, as well, if that helps, and I'm sure that the files aren't corrupted, either.  If anyone can think of ANYTHING, I would really appreciate some help, thanks!

Honor Student
computers_19
Message 2 of 9 (4,226 Views)

Re: Why does my graphics driver keep crashing whenever I watch a movie?!

Hi, I'm new to the forum but did you go into your Task Manager, tab over to performance, and make sure your CPU Usage is not at 100% usage. Because I had the same problem with avi files and every time the usage was maxed out the movie froze up. Just a suggestion.
Honor Student
ZooCow
Message 3 of 9 (4,195 Views)

It could be a video codec issue.  Make sure you have the right codec for the file you want to play.
Provost
CherylG
Message 4 of 9 (4,176 Views)

May be overheating.I have the same gpu and if I run it without a notebook cooling pad,it tends to get hot pretty fast when watching videos.

******Clicking the Thumbs-Up button is a way to give Kudo's -Thanks!.******
**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue to help others who are searching**
Top Student
Brewster
Message 5 of 9 (4,150 Views)

It's not the codecs, I have the CCCP, a synth pack, emulator, ect.  I'm fairly certain it's not due to overheating, though that's one avenue I haven't explored.  What I have tried to date:  Increasing SATA writing cache/performance, disabled the Printer Network search, UAC disabled, re-installed graphics drivers/chipset drivers, updated said drivers, and disabled Windows Auto-Defrag.  I've thought about disabling the transparency of Windows but, I mean, I've had up to 7 or 8 folders open on my desktop simultaneously and checked CPU and memory usage and it was at like, 22% and 1.75 gb, (Of available 4), respectively, so the problem isn't that the computer is over-loaded, or over-worked.  I have noticed quite a difference since increasing the performance of the SATA disc, it's not crashing anymore, but will get choppy, stop synching a/v, freeze momentarily and then catch back up, play normally for a time, and repeat.  So progress is being made.  Any more ideas?  Any help or ideas of any kind are appreciated.
Top Student
mvgc3
Message 6 of 9 (4,138 Views)

Maybe you could try a different player?

There are plenty out there, some of my favorites are Media Player Classic and the Korean Media Player. Many also like VLC Player.

Also it wouldn't hurt to download some other codec packs. There are quite a number of them here:

http://www.free-codecs.com/Codec_Packs.htm

I would reccomend the XP Codec Pack, Direct Show, and considering you are trying to play .avi files in particular, the AVI Codec Pack.

Provost
CherylG
Message 7 of 9 (4,122 Views)

Try Gom Player, very light and my laptop runs cooler when using it for multimedia:

http://www.gomlab.com/eng/

If you want a free, easy temp monitor get this.No install, just extract to a folder and add a shortcut to desktop or Quick Launch bar to start it when needed:

http://www.cpuid.com/hwmonitor.php

******Clicking the Thumbs-Up button is a way to give Kudo's -Thanks!.******
**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue to help others who are searching**
Top Student
Brewster
Message 8 of 9 (4,118 Views)

I've been using VLC for the simple reason that it is very light.  I've downloaded the AVI codec pack, and I'll try the Gom player tonight when I watch a movie.  *Sigh*, Part of me wants to bitch about this, but I actually enjoy trying to solve this.  Guess what HP suggested.  "Format your hard-drive, this should restore it to working condition."  Thank you Hewlett-Packard.  Your insightful solution has been stellar.  Thank you all for your suggestions, you guys have been great!  (That one was genuine and free of sarcasm and cynicism, by the way.)  I wonder if over-clocking would accomplish anything positive? 
Intern
FrankyP
Message 9 of 9 (4,073 Views)

My laptop does the same thing whenever NVIDIA updates my driver. I roll back the driver in the device folder and everything is fine until the next X@#$$% update. 
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation