Why is my blue power light blinking constantly on HP DV2000? No video display on external monitor. (2440 Views)
Honor Student
oldphoneman
Message 1 of 9 (2,440 Views)

Why is my blue power light blinking constantly on HP DV2000? No video display on external monitor.

HP Pavilion DV2000 - dv2025nr Notebook

Windows XP Pro

No error messages

Was using an external display prior to my problem and it was working fine at that time. Then downloaded 2 of the recommended Bios updates from HP web site and I believe I installed them. Then wanted to backup Hard Drive using Ghost 11. Tried doing this and after about 5 minutes gave up. Didn't think that it actually backed anything up. Then decided to try using the OS internal software NT backup to backup the Hard Drive and after about 10 m minutes gave up on that and quit doing that. Later on I noticed that the Display was "just a light background with no data showing on it. Now when I boot up, hard drive spins up, all lights come on, no boot up beeps at all, and black video screen. after a period of time, screen shows the bouncing Win Logo screensaver. This shows that the video chip is still working but something is wrong in the software. Anyone have any ideas on repairing, restoring system back to an earlier time, etc., without a video display working? Already tried resetting CMOS by unplugging and replugging CMOS battery. Tried holding power on button down for 60 seconds after removing battery (that is not holding a charge). Tried hitting F8 button on boot up. Now if system is left on for a longer period of time,  it shuts down and only the Blue fron power light and the blue light on the power on button are blinking.

Grad Student
davezorz
Message 2 of 9 (2,425 Views)

Re: Why is my blue power light blinking constantly on HP DV2000? No video display on external monito

Hey, oldphoneman. Sorry to hear that you're having issues like this! So, just to be clear about the BIOS updates, did you download 1, install it, then install the other directly after?

Message 3 of 9 (2,412 Views)

Re: Why is my blue power light blinking constantly on HP DV2000? No video display on external monito

I downloaded the top 2 drivers listed for my DV2000 from the HP download area. The 1st one was the Audio driver and the 2nd one was the Chipset driver (NVIDIA). I also believe that after they downloaded, I installed them. After that, I wanted to backup the Hard drive and I proceeded to do that with Ghost ver.11. After about 5 minutes it seemed as though nothing was really happening so I quit using the Ghost disc and removed it from the Rom drive. I then went into the Windows XP Pro  files and found the NTBackup app. I ran this application and after about 10 minutes I aborted it and turned off the Laptop. The external display was working fine up to the point that I shut off the Laptop. The next day I went to bootup the laptop and did not get a video display as usual on the connected external display. It seemed that the POST ran as usual with all the blue lights coming on, heard the HDD spin up and the HDD light was working showing it was going thru the POST. But after a few minutes of black video screen, the screensaver function kicked in and all I got on the video display was the bouncing Win logo. When I tapped the touchpad to bring up the desktop, nothing came up. After leaving the Laptop set for awhile, it eventually shut down/went in to hibernation and only the blue power lights on the front and on the power on button were blinking constantly until shutting off the power. This was on AC power only since the battery is not holding a charge. I did remove the CMOS battery and reconnected to reset the CMOS. This didn't help. Also tried holding down the power button for 60 seconds and then powering back on. Still no display. I have a Kingwin USI-2535 USB 2.0 to SATA & IDE adapter for 2.5" & 3.5" Hard Drive Adapter. I was thinking of maybe going into the files on the Hard Drive and deleting any of the files time dated after the time/date the Laptop display was working. I am afraid though that I might affect some common files that would compound my problem. I do have a file recovery program as well (File Scavenger). Not sure of the best way to get back into this drive to get it straightened out. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks for your help.

Grad Student
davezorz
Message 4 of 9 (2,407 Views)

Ok, that clears it up a little. So they were not technically BIOS updates, they were just driver updates. Those, more than likely, were not the cause of failure. That is a very good thing, though. As I am sure you know, a BIOS corruption means a new motherboard. Anyway, here is something to try since you stated it seemed to POST. Turn it off, then back on, and tap F10 until it takes you into the BIOS itself. I just want to see if it will actually get into it.

Message 5 of 9 (2,402 Views)

Forgot to mention that I did try tapping F10 but since the display was not really showing anything but a black screen, I could not tell what was happening.

Grad Student
davezorz
Message 6 of 9 (2,397 Views)

Ok, then. I guess that shoots that test down. If there is not a display in BIOS either... So I am guessing that we can't be 100% sure that it even POSTs, right?

Message 7 of 9 (2,390 Views)

I think that it is going through the POST since after a few minutes the Screensaver will kick in and the bouncing WIn Logo appears on the display. That is the only thing that is displayed. If I leave the Laptop alone, eventually it will shut down and only the Blue Power light and Blue light on the Power On button blinks constantly. So from that, the video appears to be working but it seems as though one or more of the boot up files is corrupt, been changed, or is  missing. I used my Kingwin adapter earlier today and ran CHKDSK \F. It took quite awhile to run, so I left and came back a few hours later and it had finished and all I could see was the last page of a bunch of files that were SD or SID (I think) that had a problem. It also said that it was unable to finish the CHKDSK properly. I am going to try it again tomorrow when I can sit close by and do print screens of it as it runs. I have print screens of the files/folders of the Hard Drive that were modified on the day I downloaded and installed the updated drivers. I thought that these print screens might come in handy to identify a file/files that might be causing problems on startup/boot up.

Grad Student
davezorz
Message 8 of 9 (2,374 Views)

Hey, that would be awesome! Being able to see it is a lot easier than trying to visualize it. But you're right, looks like it must go through POST if it is indeed getting a screensaver at some point.

Message 9 of 9 (1,715 Views)

you might have a problem with your ram, try removing it and put it back again. maybe a lose contact problem... :smileyhappy:

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation