Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

Since the Windows 8.1 update I have a really stupid problem on my Pavilion g7-2210sm. (http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03555012)

All of the games that were on my PC - Skyrim, DARK, TW: Rome 2, PES 14... - all run at a maximum of 5 fps, obvious sign that only Intel GPU is used. Changing from Power Saving to High Performance in CCC is as useful as hitting the notebook with a hammer Man Frustrated.

HP did put a driver for windows 8.1 on support page but what that driver does is that it only helps windows indentify my dedicated gpu and then ignore it completely. I should also say that this driver is not really win 8.1 but rather just a copy of driver made for win 8 almost a year ago!!

To test things i formatted my system hard drive, installed Win 8 Pro, installed all drivers from support page then installed games again and all worked fine, uninstalled games, updated to Win 8.1 Pro, installed the (useless) driver, installed games and back to 5 fps.

My question is will HP ever produce some kind of real Windows 8.1 driver or should i just go sell my notebook and buy from some company that actually has product support that lasts longer than 2 weeks?

HP Pavilion g7-2210sm
40 REPLIES 40
HP Recommended

Hey!

I have the same problem but my Radeon doesn't work from the begining - did you changed the default graphic card to

Radeon or did it worked properly in games from the begining when you had Windows 8 without 8.1 actualization?

If you could look at my topic and say what do you think of that I would be very, very grateful:

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Display-and-Video/Switching-graphics-in-Pavilion-g6-2260ew-Sec...

Sincerely

Michal

HP Recommended

Hi Michal,

I saw your post and i can tell you that you won't be able to force gpu in BIOS as you probably have Dynamic switchable graphics. You can read about it here: h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c03048374&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&jumpid=reg_r1002_usen_c-001_title_r0004

As for games on Win 8 only thing i had to do after installing drivers was to switch to high performance in CCC (right click on desktop -> Graphic properties -> Switchable graphics). Not really a solution for you but thats how it works for me.

I saw on support page for your laptop we have the same driver version so i'm wondering did you install both of those gpu drivers? Because if you installed this Intel HD Driver ( http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=ob-111605-1&cc=pl&dlc=pl&lc=pl... ) it can interfere with the other one ( the one named Amd high definition).

Also disabling Intel card will not work as most of metro apps (desktop too) need it to work properly.

Hope that helps.

HP Pavilion g7-2210sm
HP Recommended

Hi All,

From the information, i see that HP has still not tested your type of unit with Windows 8.1

http://www8.hp.com/us/en/ad/windows-8/upgrade.html

So you may lose basic functionality and stability if you try to update your system.

I am an HP employee.

Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer “Accept as Solution” if it solves your problem.

***Click on “Thumbs Up” STAR to say thanks!***
HP Recommended

i got the solution:

1. you can download this AMD Mobility Catalyst 13.11 Beta9.4 for Windows

2. after download this driver,run the .exe file and uninstall the old one 1st,then restart your computer.

3. After restart install the new driver and then restart again

4. now you can use switchable graphic option 😄

HP Recommended

Hello everyone i also had the same problem  with HP ENVY 6 1002TXWITH AMD RADEON 7670M 2GB DDR3 with Intel HD 4000

then i got a solution from my friend who using the same config laptop (ENVY 4 1002TX)

Switchable graphics was problem in 8.1,by installing amd driver from hp for windows 8 it installs both inteland amd drivers , which causes problem if u do this in windows 8.1, so follow these

STEPS  FOLLOWED

1) first uninstall the drivers in the system including intel and amd , i mean complete install

2)download the latest drivers released by intel and install it first,istalled "Win64_15338" downloaded from intel website

3)if u havent uninstalled properly the driver installation fails and says"Drivers is notcompatible with current OS"

4)then downloadnad install latest beta driver from amd website for eg the latest one is "amd_catalyst_13.11_mobility_betav9.5"

5) Now the latest beta driver will install sucessfully (if any errors occurs ie, installation completed with errors then restart and run setup again and it wil fix things)

6) The new drivers gives u high boodt in fps and clarity , Really enjoyed the new drivers 

I think most of the  laptops now supports this method !!!!

NB:Intel has released new windows 8.1drivers for chipsets including intel 4000 , try to downloadthe new one and the old one for windows 8 willnt support this method.

HP Recommended

Dear F,

I have HP Envy 6-1106TX. I'm Official win8. Last week after frequent pop ups from windows store that update to win8.1, I finally clicked OK and updated the my genuine windows 8 to 8.1. Installation is smooth and after that my notebook remains very hot. Before update and after updates are as follows;

Battery backup-----------> B: 5-8Hrs------> A: 2Hrs

CPU Temp (Idle) ----------->  B: 50C------> A: 60C

CPU Temp (Load)-----------> B: 75~80C -----> After: 90-100C

Although CPU performance is little down. while gaming, a little laggy. (I don't game much)

Sometimes got stuck. while on Win 8 never got stuck.

I think that the problem is that both GPUs are active at the same time. That's why Note Book got very very hot and consumes a lot of battery. 

Device Manager is not able to detect my ATI Readon 7670M, it's just showing ATI 7600.

I think drivers are not competible and that's why there is all that problem.

I have tried solution that posted by 

Although windows 8.1 features are very impressive but I have to go back to Windows 8 because of that problem.

After degrading to Win 8. everything is normal.

Any one will help me, is there any official drives updated by HP to solve this issue?

or they are just ignoring us and we have to stuck with windows 8.

HP Recommended

Hey man,

I had exactly the same problems u had !!!! Trust me this method worksfor all grphx cards in win 8.1

PS: HP is not going to provide win 8.1 drivers now!!!! i have waited too long!!!!!

Only way is this and most of us recommend this!!!

First download the latest drivers for intel and beta drivers for amd radeon!!!!

>> IF u have both , first login win 8.1

>> Go todevice manager , Uninstall the intel and amd drivers completely!!! (u can see it by refreshing device manager)

>> Device manager after refresh shows "VGA card or something " if both drivers are completely uninstalled 

>> then restart

>> install intel grphx driver first !!!!

>> if it installs without problems, u r halfway safe

>> then restart and install amd driver 

>>it may show someerror first, but then after  restart install once more !!! 

>> Now you have succesully installed drivers!!!

if any doubts feel free to ask!!!!

Click "KUDOS" if u have your solution

HP Recommended

I'm using Hp Pavilion G6 2305tx. I been looking for a solution of AMD issue with Windows 8.1 since last 3 months!!

Please, any one help me with latest deiver for Hp Pavilion g6 2305tx, AMD Redeon HD 7670m.

Mridu

HP Recommended

Thanks Dude for your motivation.

Can you share screen shots of your device manager, I would like to see that whether AMD Beta Drivers recognise HD7670M or its says HD7600M? Because if Latest Beta Drivers recognise HD7670M, then I pretty sure that problem will be solved.

Just share the screen shot and temp measures of your CPU and GPU on IDLE and LOADED.

I use my notebook for office and these are a lot of apps and data in my PC that will need to be restored. and last time it took me a day so I need to make sure before doing this all again that whether this worked or not or I have to wait for the officical HP drivers.

It will be so kind of you,

Thanks in advance.

Khurram

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.