Question

Honor Student
delsus
Message 1 of 3 (2,670 Views)

Windows 8 release preview: ATI graphics driver error "Unable to find any installable components"

I have just installed the Windows 8 release preview to test, after I attempted to install the drivers for my ATI mobility radeon HD 5470 I get the error "unable to find any installable components" if I choose the cutom option (if I choose typical it doesn't give any error, just doesn't install anything). This is one of 2 problems.

1. The drivers are not compatible with Windows 8, If this is the case what is HP playing at? There has been plently of time for HP to write compatible drivers from AMD's sources, the developer's preview was released months ago.

2. I check dxdiag and it shows my Intel chip as the card currently being used, This can cause problems and it would mean I need a fixed mode graphics option in my BIOS.

HP NEEDS to fix this by providing up to date drivers for Windows 8, I payed £600 for my laptop and I want to use Windows 8 (for now atleast), while my laptop was in warrenty I always got the script monkey reply "we are unable to support software that was not preinstalled on your system" HP has to provide these updates, because there are people who will want to use it. Personally I need to keep up to date on software for my career so I NEED these drivers and an option for fixed mode graphics.

I require an answer from a HP rep to tell me why they have no Windows 8 drivers or a fixed mode graphics option on my laptop, I have been asking for the BIOS option for 1 year now.

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 2 of 3 (2,668 Views)

Re: Windows 8 release preview: ATI graphics driver error "Unable to find any installable compon

Hi:

This is a consumer to consumer forum. No one from HP will respond to any requests (or demands) from any user here in an official capacity.

HP has released a generic statement concerning their non-support of the Windows 8 Release Preview.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Windows-8-Release-Preview/Welcome-to-the-HP-Windows-8-Release-Preview/t...

Unfortunately, when you have switchable graphics, you are at the mercy of the PC manufacturer to use their drivers.

The bottom line is that HP will not release any W8 drivers until the OS is officially released to market by Microsoft.

The release date is unknown but it may be as early as late October.

Paul

Honor Student
delsus
Message 3 of 3 (2,657 Views)

Re: Windows 8 release preview: ATI graphics driver error "Unable to find any installable compon

[ Edited ]

Paul_Tikkanen wrote:

Hi:

This is a consumer to consumer forum. No one from HP will respond to any requests (or demands) from any user here in an official capacity.

HP has released a generic statement concerning their non-support of the Windows 8 Release Preview.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Windows-8-Release-Preview/Welcome-to-the-HP-Windows-8-Release-Preview/t...

Unfortunately, when you have switchable graphics, you are at the mercy of the PC manufacturer to use their drivers.

The bottom line is that HP will not release any W8 drivers until the OS is officially released to market by Microsoft.

The release date is unknown but it may be as early as late October.

Paul

I have got to say this is a huge short sight on HP's side, the release preview is made as large scale open beta test, HP cannot test everything internally, they cannot test if for some reason 1 piece of software causes problems with a driver, if people have problems HP will suffer. As I said I need to keep up to date with software and operating systems, its something I enjoy doing as well, HP has to be the single worst manufatcturer I have ever seen, If I had any other brand of laptop I would beable to rule out if its compatibility or just its seeing my integrated card only, and not the ATI card, by using fixed mode graphics, but HP refuses to give that option for most of thier laptop models.

When I can afford a new laptop I will never be using HP again, they are the worst manufacturer I have seen.

EDIT: All my other drivers installed succesfully, also when I open device manager and select my ATI card (listed as an ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5000 Series (Engineering Sample WDDM v1.20)) I have the device status "This device cannot start. (Code 10) " I have never seen that error before now, any suggestions?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation