after windows 8.1 update switchable graphics stopped working (9302 Views)
Intern
Kumako
Message 1 of 11 (9,302 Views)
Accepted Solution

after windows 8.1 update switchable graphics stopped working

Specifications

HP Pavilion g7 Notebook PC, running windows 8.1, 64 bits

Hardware: Switchable graphics Radeon AMD 7600 series.

Intel 4000 graphic card

Problem

After windows 8.1 update, the switchable graphic function disappeared from the Catalyst Control Centrum. Both cards were doing fine before the update with windows 8.

What did I do so far?

I’ve already reinstalled a newer version of the CCC because my older one was not compatible with windows 8.1. Since I did this, the AMD card appears to be functioning okay again (according to device manager). So no problems here?

1a.jpg

AMD radion: version 13.150.1.0

Intel HD: 10.18.10.3316

What else has changed?
When I right-click my desktop I see two options relating to the Intel card which were not there before the 8.1 update. Graphical properties and graphical options. While before the update, there was anoter option below the AMD Catalyst Control Center, but that has disappeared (no idea what the option was, I just know “something” was there). 

1.jpg

While the CCC functions okay again, the option to switch graphic cards (or to appoint programs into a category: use intel or amd) disappeared.

Help wanted please! 

(also, my audio card doesn’t function anymore… and neither can I access the control panel… but hey, those issues are currently on the waiting list. One step at a time. You gotta love windows 8.1)

Top Student
Matija88
Message 2 of 11 (9,299 Views)

Re: after windows 8.1 update switchable graphics stopped working

[ Edited ]

Temporary Solution...

NOTE: You need to update the Intel graphics driver as well from their site! 

Intern
Kumako
Message 3 of 11 (9,288 Views)

[ Edited ]

I'll give it a try.

I'm just a little confused as I was told *not* to update the intel driver... because that messed up my AMD driver before. That was a whole other problem but still... 

Can't mess this *bleep* up anymore than windows 8.1 already did. 

pirvq.jpg

Intern
Kumako
Message 4 of 11 (9,246 Views)

[ Edited ]

Fixed (temporary?). 

The switchable graphics option has returned. I  haven't tested it yet though. 

Installed these:

1.jpg

Found here:

AMD update driver: http://www2.ati.com/drivers/beta/amd_catalyst_13.11_mobility_betav9.2.exe

Intel® Iris™ and HD graphics Driver for Windows 8.1* 64: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=23323

Top Student
Matija88
Message 5 of 11 (9,238 Views)

I'm glad I was able to help! :smileyhappy:
temporary?
well, the driverr is currently in beta channel, it may have some bugs...
so we're hope that HP will bring ASAP a brand new OEM driver(s) updates!
Intern
Kumako
Message 6 of 11 (9,227 Views)

[ Edited ]

Yes thank you :smileyhappy:

Hopefully others with the same problem, and same notebook,  also stumble upon this thread.

The internet is a maze of solutions that just didn't quite work for my graphic cards. 

The problem with the configuration screen is also fixed, as is the sound. 

Student
Shoaib1415
Message 7 of 11 (8,831 Views)

Can anyone please help me with the procedure as i am not able to get it back :smileysad: i have hp pavilion g6 2320tx amd radeon hd 7600m 1gb graphic card..plzz someone help..thanks in advance :smileyhappy:

HP Support Agent
Lil_Lisa27
Message 8 of 11 (8,726 Views)

Hello Shoaib1415,

For issues with the switchable graphics, the first step would be to make sure that the drivers are completely up to date. I have included the latest driver for 'AMD High-Definition (HD) Graphics Driver'. Please click on the orange download button, and then install the drivers.

Please let me know if you are able to use the switchable graphics, thank you.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" on the left to say “Thanks” for helping!

Lil_Lisa27
I work on behalf of HP
Top Student
AJ-HPG4
Message 9 of 11 (6,518 Views)

This thing also happened to me lately when i updated to windows 8.1, Ive tried everything (including the solution provided by this thread) but still no resolve. So, i tried to do a fresh install again, and just left my laptop after a few hours from frustration, then suddenly i got back and checked out things, my graphic drivers updated automatically and i didnt even do anything. I beleieve what did it for me was the "hp support assistant" software because it automatically detects every driver and updates it at the same time, so when i came back everythings was solved. But im kinda scared to update it manually now, because i also got an error while installing the graphics driver that HP provided for my laptop, saying it wasnt a compatible one. Anyway, i guess its better to download the "HP SUPPORT ASSISTANT" sofware and let it install everything for you instead of manually downloading and installing things.

Student
ROHAN0805
Message 10 of 11 (5,341 Views)

i get host application graphics card not working

we will check windows solution 
and then nothings comes up

this problem started after i install windows 8.1

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation