cant update graphics driver for ati mobility radeon 6370 in hp g42-478tx (4487 Views)
Top Student
xgt001
Message 1 of 7 (4,487 Views)

cant update graphics driver for ati mobility radeon 6370 in hp g42-478tx

i tried running the catalyst software suite it shows your computer doesnt contain a proper graphics card, and the ati catalyst complete install wont upgrade the driver at all.... the driver installed is the HP official driver 8.771.....how to update the graphics driver ??? thankx in advance

Provost
erico
Message 2 of 7 (4,485 Views)

Re: cant update graphics driver for ati mobility radeon 6370 in hp g42-478tx

Hi,

This is a notebook PC not a desktop PC. Your notebook will have an integrated video solution (soldered onto the system board) and (if yours is a high end model) a discrete module.  It is suggested that you install only the HP divers found at the support portal for your notebook. 

If you choose to install drivers from the ATI website then ensure that you install the mobility (notebook) versions. There is no guarantee the ATI drivers will work properly.

Best regards,

erico

****If my suggestion was helpful, you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up***

****Please mark Accept As Solution if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having****
****I am a volunteer, I don't work for HP****

Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Top Student
xgt001
Message 3 of 7 (4,484 Views)

i tried the latest ati mobility catalyst driver installer. it will update everything else like Catalyst Control center , .net framework etc but NOT the display driver,...... why so???

Provost
erico
Message 4 of 7 (4,477 Views)

[ Edited ]

You should be able to update the driver itself from within the Device Manager. The driver must be a newer version than the installed one. You can download the driver seperately at ATI if you wish. Using an installer is not necessary if you are comfortable with updating it manually.Check the driver version information to ensure that is the case. The image is from my loaner dv7-4180ea notebook. 

driver_update.PNG

Best regards,
erico

****If my suggestion was helpful, you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up***

****Please mark Accept As Solution if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having****

Top Student
xgt001
Message 5 of 7 (4,469 Views)

thanks for the suggestions....but the problem is this... my driver in Ubuntu Linux is the latest 11.7 catalyst (8.872) which i got from amd site... how to get the same driver in Windows?? i did what you suggested... but windows says it is upto date (8.771)... do i need to remove the existing drivers before installing this driver? 

regards....

Provost
erico
Message 6 of 7 (4,447 Views)

Download the driver from the ATI/AMD Radeon Mobility HD section go to the Device manager, select the Radeon adapter and then select properties and then ( as in the image I posted before) select upgrade driver.

Best regards,
erico

Top Student
jamsheedmalik
Message 7 of 7 (2,652 Views)

i updated my ati 6370 graphics driver on my hp dv6 laptop with switchable graphics and its working great ; just try it.......... 1. download and install .net framework 4 or above. 2. then download amd radeon latest update from this link http://www2.ati.com/DriverS/mobile/12-10_mobility_vista_win7_win8_64_dd_ccc_whql_net4.exe . 3. now switch on ur ati graphics and install the drivers selecting express install not custom when prompted because this will install catalyst control center with it which is important for switchable graphic notebooks. 4. let the process finish and thats it. DONE NOTE;1. ati graphics should be ur active gpu during installation. 2. .net framework v4 or 4.5 must be installed before upgrading the driver. 3. no need to uninstall ur previous graphics driver. 4. also check this site for more information as i have found this driver on this particular site http://forum.notebookreview.com/hp-drivers-software-forum/486908-drivers-hp-dv6-3xxx-dv7-4xxx-envy-1... 5. for winvista,win7 and also win8. 6. this particular driver is only for 64bit for more details visit the above link ...................
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation