05-27-2011 10:27 PM
im using an envy 14, and many problems occur with gaming and normal usage.
when i run certain games (fallout 3 for example), the game would randomly (and very often) freeze, and i'd have to restart the game. It would occur once a minute or so, so it seemed virtually unplayable. I know that fallout3 requirements are a lot lower than envy 14 specs, so im wondering, what is the problem?
and additionally, when i use multiple programs at once (ex. google chrome, internet explorer, microsoft word), the screen starts flickering like mad, and due to the flicker, so much lag is created that most functions do not respond. I cannot open the windows menu, nor do anything with the problematic tabs, and the only things i could do were the task manager and alt-tab through the different programs.
Im sure there is some problem that im having thats creating the issues, rather than the laptop hardware's incapability. What might it be?
12-01-2011 03:23 PM
I had the same issue with my HP Pavilion dv7 laptop. I disabled the Desktop Window Manager which controls the special graphical effects in windows. Your screen will look slightly different but it seems to have fixed the problem. You can always turn it back on later if it doesn't work for you.
1. Click Start.
2. In the Start Search textbox type Services.msc If prompted by the UAC, provide a password or confirmation. Click Continue.
3. Scroll down until you locate the entry that is labeled Desktop Window Manager Session Manager.
4. Right-Click on this service. Select Stop from the context menu.
5. Right Click once again on the entry. Select Properties from the context menu.
6. Go to the “General Tab” to change the start up type to Disabled. Click OK.