dv2120us display bricked by nVidia linux graphics driver (2055 Views)
Top Student
dancinhomr
Message 1 of 8 (2,055 Views)

dv2120us display bricked by nVidia linux graphics driver

I have a dv2120us HP laptop that has been bricked by a bug in nVidia's linux display driver:

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=131849

The bug was discovered by Fujitsu, and they have a DOS utility that will fix it:

https://bugzilla.rpmfusion.org/show_bug.cgi?id=433#c11

And so I was wondering, as a complete long-shot, if there might be anybody in HP that would be able to help?  I'm

Provost
Huffer
Message 2 of 8 (2,004 Views)

Re: dv2120us display bricked by nVidia linux graphics driver

Are you still under warranty? Likely not. The EDID is not separately available. What are your symptoms? Can you still boot intot he BIOS?
Top Student
dancinhomr
Message 3 of 8 (1,983 Views)

Unfortunately it's no longer under warranty.  The laptop is basically a paper-weight at this point.  The display does not function at all, and nothing when connected to an external display.

The explanation from the Fujitsu engineer in the previously mentioned bug:

https://bugzilla.rpmfusion.org/show_bug.cgi?id=433#c5

...matches my symptoms exactly.  The BIOS is not available, presumably because there's no display detected.  The laptop doesn't boot at all, it's not just a matter of not being able to see anything.  The fact that the display isn't detected has rendered the system useless.

Provost
Huffer
Message 4 of 8 (1,963 Views)

fresh out of ideas I am sorry to say. I do doubt a mere driver could have caused such massive hardware failure. The posts about the Fujitsu machine seem to imply that after the trauma, you can still access the BIOS or DOS to flash the video BIOS somehow. So I am thinking this is a coincidence of bad luck for you.
Top Student
dancinhomr
Message 5 of 8 (1,947 Views)

> fresh out of ideas I am sorry to say. I do doubt a mere driver could have caused such massive hardware

> failure.  The posts about the Fujitsu machine seem to imply that after the trauma, you can still access the

> BIOS or DOS to flash the video BIOS somehow.

If you continue to doubt the validity of this pls read the initial bug description as reported by Fujitsu:

https://bugzilla.rpmfusion.org/show_bug.cgi?id=433

specifically:

"After installation of the nvidia drivers from rpmfusion and a reboot the screen turns black when the X server is starting. After this the notebooks display seems to be damaged and the machine is not usable any more, not even the BIOS screen will appear on subsequent boots."

As you read through the rpmfusion bug report you'll see that the display is not actually damaged.   Rather, the EDID of the display has been corrupted by the nVidia driver bug.  And the only way to make use of the Fujitsu DOS utility that resolves the corrupted EDID is to physically disconnect the internal display and connect an external monitor.  W/out physically disconnecting the built-in flatpanel the BIOS will continue to detect the corrupted EDID and refuse to display anything, including the BIOS.

Since the laptop is rendered useless to me as a result of this bug I'm more than willing to crack it open and disconnect the internal display.  But that won't do me much good unless I can get my hands on a utility similar to what Fujitsu has provided their customers to re-flash the EDID.

Is there anybody in HP that monitors these forum posts?  Anybody willing to take a shot at helping me resolve this issue?  Or is this laptop destined for the landfill?  8(

Provost
Huffer
Message 6 of 8 (1,928 Views)

If you read all the way through that bugzilla report they are saying the problem is confined to that video card and that display and also to an nvidia driver downloaded through rpmfusion. I also understand that they have fixed it by reflashing firmware on the display panel itself. I guess this is not impssible but your machine is not all that similar to the subject Fujitsu. I wish I could give you a lot of hope that HP is going to write a DOS program to fix the issue and provide the EDID to you but if I were you I would call tech support. I just fear they will charge you for even a call.
Top Student
dancinhomr
Message 7 of 8 (1,919 Views)

> If you read all the way through that bugzilla report they are saying the problem

> is confined to that video card and that display and also to an nvidia driver

> downloaded through rpmfusion.

Fujitsu likely can only speak to the systems that they've received reports/have reproduced on.  The nVidia driver version in question, from rpmfusion, is what my laptop was running at the time I encountered the problem.  I did also post to the nVidia Linux support forum:

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=132592

..but haven't received any responses there yet.

> I wish I could give you a lot of hope that HP is going to write a DOS program to

> fix the issue and provide the EDID to you but if I were you I would call tech support.

> I just fear they will charge you for even a call.

I honestly didn't expect much from HP on this, but figured I should at least post something as a last resort before completely writing off the laptop as dead.  I would be willing to pay something to actually get it fixed, but I'm not willing to pay to place a support call only to be told that they can't fix it.  I presume the reason Fujitsu developed a fix for this is because they are actually shipping Linux on the aforementioned line of laptops and thusthey have a vested interest in providing a fix.  Unfortunately w/ my laptop being out of warranty, and HP not having a line of Linux laptops which would be susceptible to this bug, I doubt they would consider it worthwhile to develop a fix.

The 1 thing I'm curious about though is whether the EDID of my HP display is unique or whether it might be something generic enough that the Fujitsu DOS utility might actually fix.  At this point I guess if can't hurt to try, if I could get my hands on the fix from Fujitsu ......

Thx Huffer for the responses.  If anything of interest turns up I'll follow-up here, for the benefit of any other poor HP customers hit by this.

~Dave

Top Student
dancinhomr
Message 8 of 8 (1,870 Views)

> I presume the reason Fujitsu developed a fix for this is because

> they are actually shipping Linux on the aforementioned line of

> laptops and thusthey have a vested interest in providing a fix.

Turns out this isn't correct.  Fujitsu does not ship Linux on these systems.  Rather they offer a "without operating system" shipping option and then the customers choose what OS they install/run.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation