Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

My Windows 7 upgrade installed the standard VGA video adapter on my dv6000.  HP support site indicates there is no upgrade for the video driver that is compatible with Windows 7?  I'm assuming I need a specific driver to be able to change to resolution higher than 1024x768?  I also need to be able to extend my display to an external projector.

Thanks for any help.

D

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

Click on option "2", allow the add-on to download and let NVIDIA automatically find your driver.

I think you have to pick "Mother Board Drivers" if that one is wrong choose the other.

HP Recommended

When I go to that URL it gives me this message:

"The manufacturer of this system requires that you download the driver for your GPU from their support site."

And when I go to the "manfacturer" ... HP .... it tells me it doesn't provide Windows 7 drivers for the the dv6000.

The current installed driver is Standard VGA Graphics adapter and it only gives me two resolutions; 800x600 and 1024x768, which distorts images and stretches everything across the screen.

HP Recommended

First, try installing your Vista one here.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=ob-46830-1&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&...

When you did your upgrade did you save a file in drive"C" named "SwSetup" ? In there would also have been the Vista video driver that should have worked.

You may still have your SwSetup folder in a file named "Windows Old" it is a little buried in that file in "Users" I think, you may have to dig for it a little.

Here is Dan's guide for upgrading to your model to W7.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Operating-systems-and-software/Windows-7-Upgrade-Guide-for-dv6000-dv900...

Go to where it says "Graphics Drivers" and it gives you an NVIDIA one to try, if the Vista one does not work out. Make sure to pick the correct one, 32 or 64 bit. Read the first few paragraph's in the guide before the Graphics Driver section, there is lots of good information there.

The NVIDIA driver version is 197.16 and I have had two cases where that driver has issues with DVD and Blu-ray playback, but that was on only two machines. If there is a problem with it then there is a more recent version, but try that one for now.

HP Recommended

I realize this is an old thread, but I'm posting this in case it helps someone else out there.

If you've been following the wild-goose-chase to get a graphics driver (such as for the Nvidia GEforce GO 6150) that will work on WIn7, by now you've probably figured out that the HP site does not have Windows 7 drivers for older computers that shipped with XP and Vista.   Leads you to believe you're stuck, right?  Wrong!  It CAN be done!

I just had the same issue with my DV9000 (DV9205US, running Win 7 Pro 32-bit.)  The solution was to download the correct (Vista, XP, etc) driver, then run the install in Compatibility Mode (for Vista, XP, etc.)

IN DETAIL:

-Download the driver .exe file (the file name format is SPXXXXX.exe).

-Find it in your downloads drop-down, right-click it and select "Open Containing Folder"

-Right-click on the .exe file,

-Select "Properties",

-Select "Compatibility",

-Check the box that says "Run this program in compatibility mode for--"

-Select the OS you need to be compatible with (I selected "Vista Service Pack 2" for mine). 

-Click "Apply"

-Click "OK".

-Run the .exe file & go thru the install process.

-Restart the PC.

-Go into Start, Control Panel, "Appearance and Personalization"

-Select "Adjust Screen Resolution"

..And you should be able to select the high-resolution setting.  "Apply" it, and you're good to go!

Hope this helped...

HP Recommended

please i want this driver

HP Recommended

Hello,

If you cannot find the Win7 driver for your model, then as I mentioned above, go to the HP website and download the Vista video driver ".exe" file for your exact model, then run it in Compatibility Mode as described in my detailed procedure.   That should do it! 

Good Luck...

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.