Question

Tutor
Cyclefitness
Message 1 of 4 (26,269 Views)

dv6000 with NVIDIA GeForce Go 6150 - need Windows 7 driver

My Windows 7 upgrade installed the standard VGA video adapter on my dv6000.  HP support site indicates there is no upgrade for the video driver that is compatible with Windows 7?  I'm assuming I need a specific driver to be able to change to resolution higher than 1024x768?  I also need to be able to extend my display to an external projector.

Thanks for any help.

D

Regents Professor
HaggisCat
Message 2 of 4 (26,259 Views)

Re: dv6000 with NVIDIA GeForce Go 6150 - need Windows 7 driver

[ Edited ]

http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

Click on option "2", allow the add-on to download and let NVIDIA automatically find your driver.

I think you have to pick "Mother Board Drivers" if that one is wrong choose the other.

Tutor
Cyclefitness
Message 3 of 4 (26,212 Views)

When I go to that URL it gives me this message:

"The manufacturer of this system requires that you download the driver for your GPU from their support site."

And when I go to the "manfacturer" ... HP .... it tells me it doesn't provide Windows 7 drivers for the the dv6000.

The current installed driver is Standard VGA Graphics adapter and it only gives me two resolutions; 800x600 and 1024x768, which distorts images and stretches everything across the screen.

Regents Professor
HaggisCat
Message 4 of 4 (26,209 Views)

[ Edited ]

First, try installing your Vista one here.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=ob-46830-1&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&...

When you did your upgrade did you save a file in drive"C" named "SwSetup" ? In there would also have been the Vista video driver that should have worked.

You may still have your SwSetup folder in a file named "Windows Old" it is a little buried in that file in "Users" I think, you may have to dig for it a little.

Here is Dan's guide for upgrading to your model to W7.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Operating-systems-and-software/Windows-7-Upgrade-Guide-for-dv6000-dv900...

Go to where it says "Graphics Drivers" and it gives you an NVIDIA one to try, if the Vista one does not work out. Make sure to pick the correct one, 32 or 64 bit. Read the first few paragraph's in the guide before the Graphics Driver section, there is lots of good information there.

The NVIDIA driver version is 197.16 and I have had two cases where that driver has issues with DVD and Blu-ray playback, but that was on only two machines. If there is a problem with it then there is a more recent version, but try that one for now.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation