Question

Honor Student
porcelinasoma
Message 1 of 6 (2,956 Views)

dv6449us blinking screen?

Within the last few days, my laptop screen has started randomly blinking black, almost like it's a loose connection to the screen.  It's not too hot when it does this, because it usually happens right when I open it.  I don't have a warranty anymore, and I'm not paying for one because the HP technical service sucks (in my experience).  Is there a display setting or remedy for this issue?  It blinks so fast that it could give an epileptic a seizure, and it really hurts my eyes.  Sometimes it becomes so unbearable that I can't read anything on the screen.  I'm a college student, so I need to read things on my computer often, and it's the only computer I have available to me.

HELP!

Honor Student
janalee
Message 2 of 6 (2,937 Views)

Re: dv6449us blinking screen?

I just started having the same problem and I have only had this notebook two months....have you found out what is causing it?
Honor Student
porcelinasoma
Message 3 of 6 (2,931 Views)

I've found, at least with mine, that sometimes closing the notebook, then reopening it will make it stop.  Or pushing the screen back pretty far will help.  But these only help sometimes.  You should still have the manufacturer warranty, and they may be able to fix it.  But good luck getting hold of a person that you can understand.  They outsource the whole technical support group to India, and they don't have the best English.  But I had to send mine in a few months back because the wireless card was dead, and after them sending me a part for it, me sending the computer out to get them to fix it, them forcing me over the phone to wipe my hard drive (because that would help what now?), and then me sending it back to them again, it finally got fixed after a month of me not having a computer.

I have hard feelings.  I'm going out today to buy a Dell desktop.  I'm through with HP.

Honor Student
porcelinasoma
Message 4 of 6 (2,914 Views)

I think I found a solution!

I had the brightness turned pretty far up for my monitor, and turning it down immediately stopped the problem.  I noticed that when I unplugged the laptop, the screen goes dimmer to conserve battery life.  And when I unplugged it while it was flickering, it completely stopped.  Try that and see if it works!

Click on the battery icon in the bottom right of the screen on the toolbar.  The go to "more power options."  On the left-hand side at the bottom, there is an "adjust the display brightness" choice.  Click that, and then lower the bars a bit.  See if that helps you, and let me know!

Honor Student
janalee
Message 5 of 6 (2,894 Views)

Hi again and thanks for the tip! I had mine all the way up too since I had been outside and couldn't

see the screen---so I have decreased it and we'll see about that now...! Thanks again..hope this is it!

hil Honor Student
Honor Student
hil
Message 6 of 6 (1,745 Views)

I believe this is a battery issue.  Try taking out the battery and do a hard reboot while you re-insert the battery.  You might have to do this 2 or 3 times, but it works for me.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation