Question

Student
Jfreak
Message 1 of 2 (1,433 Views)

dv6500 Display/Video card Problems

I bought a dv6500 a few years ago, and while it hasn't been perfect, it has done pretty well.  This Saturday, I was having trouble connecting to the wireless network at the place I rent, the admin had reset the router or something, so I restarted the machine.  Turned it off (with the power button, it was taking a little while to shut down, I was impatient), turned it back on.  One long beep, two short beeps.  Tried it again.  Same thing.  From what I've found out online, that's a display adapter beep code problem.  Since it was working literally a minute before hand, and hadn't suffered any recent trauma, I'm guessing it might be something as simple as a loose connection, or hoping at least.  My laptop has a discrete video card, as far as I ordered, a nVidia 8600 or somesuch.  Any idea how I can gain access to it, so I can try unplugging cords and plugging them back in?  The manual doesn't seem to have anything for working with the video card in it.
Thank you!

Provost
CherylG
Message 2 of 2 (1,410 Views)

Re: dv6500 Display/Video card Problems

[ Edited ]

1 long,2 short beeps indicates video card failure which on most of these Nvidias means the solder has broken down and is not gripping the chip to the motherboard. Many with this failure have used a reflow process to melt the solder and cause it to reflow around the chip.It can be done at home if you are good at that sort of thing,but can be risky. This guy has done several repairs and had good reports here at the forum. His 'About Me' page also shows the process if you care to try it yourself.

Nvidia GPU Repair

******Clicking the Thumbs-Up button is a way to give Kudo's -Thanks!.******
**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue to help others who are searching**
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation