Question

Student
DJTonyTF
Message 1 of 8 (10,273 Views)

dv7-1175nr Won't play Blu ray Movies

Hello all.  I have a HP dv7-1175nr.  I can not get the laptop to play Blu ray.  It did and now it doesn't. I had QuickPlay 3.6 on the laptop. I upgraded to 3.7 QuickPlay.  I also installed and tried HP DVD Play (which seemed like a different version of QuickPlay).  At the end of it... I get no Blu Ray playback.  I insert a Blu ray disc, click on the icon to start the disc and a message pops up that says "Please insert disc" and then ejects the disc.

Any help/guidance would be great.  Thanks in advance.

Tony 

Tutor
Edilson
Message 2 of 8 (9,751 Views)

Re: dv7-1175nr Won't play Blu ray Movies

Hello all. I have a similar issue with my recently bought dv7-1175nr. I just got it out of the box, it is currently running the factory defaults, no software changes were made so far. I did not even hooked it up to the internet, so no automatic updates/upgrades were taken. I have one Blu-ray disc (Blue Man Group's latest show), which played just fine, but when I went down to a DVD rental place and piched two Blu-ray movies ("The Day the Earth 
Stood Still" and "The Happening", box by Fox Video) I could not get those two to work. The QuickPlay gets to work, recognizes the media (can see the movie titles in the left window), and then that's it, no movie in the screen at all. If I leave it "running" as it is, I see some flickering after a long while, as if the system was trying to do something with the movie, but nothing else happens, neither in the notebook screen, nor in the LCD pannel it is attached to.

So far this computer has been a dissapointment, I bought it to be my media center, and it cannot play Blu-ray properly, hopefully there is something that can be done to have it working properly, please advise. 

Teacher
Toronto699
Message 3 of 8 (9,742 Views)

try these files  SP42848    ,  SP42847 from the HP drivers page
Tutor
Edilson
Message 4 of 8 (9,737 Views)

Thanks. I'll look into those two files and see what happens. Have to rent some Blu-ray movies though, since the only one I've got works. I suppose I should rent the same ones that failed and see if they will play after the upgrade.

Thanks for the tips, will report the results when I`m done with the upgrade and tests.

Edilson

Honor Student
drogers5005
Message 5 of 8 (8,410 Views)

I have the exact same issue

But my Hp did read blurays until i upgraded to windows 7

so im gonna try to go back to vista and see if it works

oh ya and media smart dvd is the same as quickplay ( it uses the same software its just gotta diffrent iinterface)

i tryed power dvd 9 and no luck there to

im going back to vista and ill reply back what happens

Tutor
Edilson
Message 6 of 8 (8,400 Views)

My issue was resolved by removing the stupid piece of software that came with the computer as the Security and Anti-virus suite. For some reason that I don't care to know, Norton anti-virus was treating some files related to QuickPlay as virus, and therefore the player would fail to play my Blu-ray discs. Once the anti-virus package was removed, everything worked perfectly.

Too bad HP never gave a **bleep** to help me out with it, was it not for some good souls in this forum to give me some advice, I would be stuck with this issue for almost a year now.

Honor Student
drogers5005
Message 7 of 8 (8,378 Views)

No luck

going back to vista didnt work

and i used a restore cd i made 1st thing when i turned on the computer

so .... 

The only explanation is that the disk drive needs to be replaced

i wish the rest of you better luck

Honor Student
mabutoo
Message 8 of 8 (7,261 Views)

I believe that I have partially solved this riddle.  It seems that HP Quickplay depends on CyberLink for the driver of its Blu Ray Player.  Upgrading the OS, this driver is overwritten but not replaced. 

Nowhere on the HP site will you find a replacement driver nor on Cyberlinks site.  The only way to regain control of your blu-ray player is to re-install the PowerDVD software after the upgrade. 

I first noticed this problem after a microsoft update overwrote this driver in early 2009.  HP tech support remoted into my system and basically rolled back the update to the HW driver.

The catch:  I had to purchase the PowerDVD10 since I did not have a hardcopy of the older version.  Perhaps someone will have a free solution but at this point I can only suggest this one.  I am still trying to figure out why movies flicker when mouse-over operations occur during movie play but I think that is a seperate issue.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation