Question

Honor Student
Boppsta
Message 1 of 5 (428 Views)

dv7-6163us laptop - Display "static" in Win7, regardless of aero, since bought refurbished

Hello all,

I feel I have a unique issue with my dv7-6163us refurbished laptop.  In most Windows 7 menus and in certain web applications, I have what I can only describe as "static" happening. I have tried googling and searching the forums but I'm not sure how to describe it succinctly.   I am using Windows 7 64bit and this has been happening since I bought it refurbished a few weeks ago. 

You can see an example of it in the screenshot below in the Start menu (and if you look closely you will see it in the top menu bar as well).  When I move the cursor across the menu, the "static" pixels will move around randomly.  This is typical of most windows menus I encounter.  I will usually see this happen in areas that are supposed to be one color, the red youtube progress bar at the bottom of a video for example, will have white static squares popping around in it.  I don't believe this is a hardware issue, as it shows up in this screenshot.  This happens regardless of Aero being activated or not.

I have been to the driver page for this model and have updated the BIOS and display drivers to no avail.  The graphics set is Intel HD Graphics 3000 and the full specs for my laptop can be found here: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c02863099&tmp_task=prodinfoCategory&cc=us&dlc=en...

Has anyone run into this before?  I'm halfway-savvy with computers and this one is a head-scratcher for me.  I have been up and down the Windows display settings but I don't see a check box next to "Don't do that thing that is clearly not supposed to be happening"  :smileywink:

Thank you for your time,

Mark

dv7-6163us-DisplayCorruption.jpg

Regents Professor
HaggisCat
Message 2 of 5 (405 Views)

Re: dv7-6163us laptop - Display "static" in Win7, regardless of aero, since bought refurbi

[ Edited ]

Weird problem, shut down and immediately start tapping the f8 key to get into safe mode and see if it occurs there.

If it's clean then the OS is not the cause, but some conflict with the video drivers maybe and a background operation.

Also, go into the BIOS using the f10 key and see if it's there as well.

If it's only 2 weeks old, most refurbished laptops have a 3 month warrantee on them, it may be a good idea to turn it in for another one or a refund.

The other thing is to do a system restore and that will determine if it is in fact a software or hardware problem.

Personally I would just get rid of it of you can.

You could also try doing a hard reset :

Remove the battery and adapter, hold the power button down for 60 seconds. Plug the adapter in only and boot up and the next time you shut down, install the battery.

I don't have allot of faith in hard reset's, if they work, the thing that it fixed, doesn't seem to stay fixed for long.

I am not totally convinced it is not a hardware problem. Depending what is causing it, the screen shot may or may not pick it up. The fact that it's in the screen shot shows that the display and its related components are probably fine and that the static is coming from somewhere else (a faulty component). Lets assume that the problem is coming from a faulty or failing video card and that is causing the white and black dots. In that case the screen shot would show that.

It would also be interesting to see if the problem occurs when an external monitor is hooked up.

Honor Student
Boppsta
Message 3 of 5 (377 Views)

Re: dv7-6163us laptop - Display "static" in Win7, regardless of aero, since bought refurbi

Hey there Cat!

Thank you for the knowledgeable reply.  Here are the results:

---------

Safe Mode: I do not have this problem in safe mode.

BIOS: I don't notice the problem there but don't think there was any opportunity for it to arise (no windows or popup menus, which seems to be the only place it arises (but then I know you only suggested it to help rule things out and troubleshoot (just sayin)))

System restore:  I just borrowed an external hard drive from work to give me a place to backup my files.  I will try a system restore this weekend and let you know.

Hard Reset:  Tried it out, no change with this problem.

External Monitor (VGA out):  Problem still occurs with external monitor.

---------

of the scenarios you presented, and the results as they stand, I'd be inclined to believe it's conflicting drivers, although it's wierd that it would be like that out of the box... so maybe it is a failing video card?

I will likely end up exchanging it for another laptop soon, but I'm going to try a system restore just out of curiousity.  The static doesn't bother me too much but I'm definitely not going to trust this laptop as a keeper for the long haul.

Other tidbits that may be of interest:

- I will get green pixels of static in some animated gifs but not others.

- changing resolution and color depth has no effect.

- when the laptop lid is closed, and the HP light on top is turned off, sometimes when I touch the top of it, the light will turn on and I will hear the harddrive spin up, as if just by touching it when closed it will start to 'wake up'

Thanks again for taking the time to help me out!

-Mark

Regents Professor
HaggisCat
Message 4 of 5 (372 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi Mark  :smileyhappy:

Another experiment to try if you have the monitor is to connect it up through HDMI.

At any rate if the system restore does not look after it, definitely exchange it for a new one or at least another refurbished one.

I would have thought that since safe mode works (it's VGA) that the external monitor would have been clear through VGA as well. Then again safe mode is not utilising all of Windows bells and whistles which appear to be causing the problem somewhere.

Defective computers out of the box, there are more of them then you think.

- when the laptop lid is closed, and the HP light on top is turned off, sometimes when I touch the top of it, the light will turn on and I will hear the harddrive spin up, as if just by touching it when closed it will start to 'wake up'

This should not be happening, even if the system restore cures the problem, which is unlikely after reading this statement, you need to return it based on this finding alone.

Something is not connected correctly or is shorting out or on it's way to a catastrophic failure.

It's also possible that it sustained shipping damage.

Honor Student
Boppsta
Message 5 of 5 (317 Views)

hey hey hey~  just closing out the loop.  I did exchange that laptop for another one, no problems now.  Thank you for being curious with me and offering up advice.  and a Thank you to MicroCenter for getting me in and out the door in less than 5 minutes with a new laptop with no hassle.   Stay good!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation