Question

Top Student
Alby74
Message 1 of 9 (432 Views)
Accepted Solution

envy 17 multiple screen

good morning

i am not able to connect 3 screens on my HP envy 2090 el

i have the vga, hdmi and mini dislpaly port port exits.

my screens have only VGA connection so i have bougth the hadmi/vga and mini display port /VGA adapters.

at thte moment i'm only able to see the screens connected to the VGA and mini display port  exits.

i have no signal to the monoitor connected to the hdmi exit.

thanks

Alby 

Retired
SuperMario1
Message 2 of 9 (412 Views)

Re: envy 17 multiple screen

Hello Alby74 :smileyhappy:

Welcome to the HP Forums!

I understand you are experiencing issues connecting multiple monitors to your computer. I will do my best to assist you! First, I require the following information:

1. The computer's model number. If you require assistance locating this information, please reference this website: Guide to finding your product number

2. The computer's operating system. If you require assistance locating this information, please reference this website to determine your Windows operating system.

3. Have you installed any new hardware on this computer, before the issue appeared?

4. Have you installed any new software or drivers on this computer, before the issue appeared?

As a quick test, try connecting and configuring one monitor at a time (using any connection type). If you can connect one monitor properly, try a second one, then a third one. In addition, please ensure you are completing the correct process by following this document: Connecting to a Monitor, Projector or TV in Windows Vista

Typically, connecting multiple monitors works better on desktops, not notebooks.

Thanks for bringing this issue to the HP Forums. Have a great day! :smileyhappy:

Mario

I worked on behalf of HP.
Top Student
Alby74
Message 3 of 9 (385 Views)

Hi Mario,

thanks for the replay.

my laptop is a envy 2090 el. the product number is LL211EA#AB2. and i have windows 7. 

i have not installed new hardware or software recently.

this is what i do every time i turn on my laptop. i first coonect only the screen connected to VGA port. then when the operationg system is runnin i connect also the the screen connected to the mini display port. everything is fine and both screen are receiving signal form the laptop.

when i also try to connect the screen connected ( a VGA screen) to the HDMI plug nothing happen and the screen is not receiving any signal ( i connect the 3rd screen by using an HDMI/VGA adaptor) 

i have tryed to connect an HDMI screen as 3rd screen. it is working fine but the screen connected to the VGA port is disabled and there is no way to re-connect it. 

so i'm able to use the sceens connected to the mini dislpay port ans HDMI port but not the one connected to the VGA port.

i have attached a snapshot, as you can see i cannot exthend the desktop into the VGA screen when HDMI and mini dispoly ports are connected.

have a good day

Alby screens.png

Retired
SuperMario1
Message 4 of 9 (382 Views)

Thank you for the response. To ensure you are connecting everything correctly, please follow the instructions on this Microsoft document: Guided Help: Dual monitor setup is easy in Windows 7!

Please try these steps, and apply the information to configure additional monitors. Please let me know what happens. Thanks!

Mario

Top Student
Alby74
Message 5 of 9 (378 Views)

Hi Mario,

i have followed the instactions to add the 3rd screen to my laptop but i am still not able to connect 3 screens at the same time

this is the error message i have when i try to exthend the desktop to the 3rd dispaly  :

973782 Error message when you configure the display settings to try to use three or more displays on a laptop that is running Windows 7: "Unable to save display settings"

does my laptop support 3 screens at the same time ? i have seen some video on youtube where some users  were able to connect 3 screens on HP envy 17 2090el

thanks 

Alby 

Retired
SuperMario1
Message 6 of 9 (376 Views)

Thank you for the response!

The message that you identified indicates that the current hardware might not be suited to connect to 3 or more monitors. Just because some other users can do it on the same computer does not mean the hardware is the same. They may have upgraded hardware at one point or another. However, I do have a couple more suggestions:

1. This YouTube video shows you that you can connect 3 or more monitors with some USB connectivity and the normal output type: How to connect three or more monitors to your laptop

2. I can't believe I didn't suggest this earlier :smileysurprised:! You can purchase an HDMI splitter. Connect an HDMI cord from the notebook to the splitter. Then, you can connect HDMI cables between the other end of the splitter and the monitors.

Please let me know how it goes. Thanks! :smileyhappy:

Mario

Top Student
Alby74
Message 7 of 9 (348 Views)

Hi Mario 

this is what i have found on hp web site 

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=it&lc=it&dlc=it&docname=c02549367

it seems possible to setup 3 scrrens on HP envy 17 laptop

it is adviced to upgrade the bios and the Graphics Driver. how can i do it???

thanks 

Alby

Retired
SuperMario1
Message 8 of 9 (341 Views)

That's a great find! I even gave you a Kudos for catching that. :smileyhappy:

I will provide information on how to update the BIOS and the graphics driver:

Please reference this document for instructions on Updating the BIOS

Download and install this graphics driver: AMD High-Definition Graphics Driver

Once the latest BIOS and graphic driver is installed, it is safe to follow the document you provided to configure multiple monitors.

If you appreciate the information I provided, please mark my posts with Kudos and Accepted Solutions. It will help everyone on the Forums, especially those who have a similar issue in the future.

Please let me know the results of your troubleshooting. Thanks! :smileyhappy:

Mario

Top Student
Alby74
Message 9 of 9 (324 Views)

Hi Mario,

problem solved. i have updated bios and graphics driver.t  i'm able to use the 3 external screens, but not also the laptop screen at the same time . as you suggested i will try with usd/vga adaptor.

one more thing. i have an HDMI/VGA adaptor for one of my screen but it doesn't work. this is the 2nd hdmi/VGA adaptor i have bought. none of them are working. what can be cause this?

thnaks again 

Alby 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation