Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Spoiler
Just to add, I tried the above and so far I have a working HP Envy X2 on  WIndows 10.  No problems encountered at all with the display driver yet... I reset my computer back to factory settings and windows 8, updated and upgraded to 8.1, upgraded the display driver as explained above then saved the windows 10 setup files to USB drive using microsofts media creation drive. Ran the setup program and voila, a working windows 10 laptop... 🙂
HP Recommended

okay .... if i do it so ... i dont think windows hello will working

HP Recommended

Thanks for the info. Can't wait to try it out on my HP Envy X2. First, HP screws us with the digitizer and pen, now with Windows 10 upgrade too.

HP Recommended

@waynehom2 wrote:

Thanks for the info. Can't wait to try it out on my HP Envy X2. First, HP screws us with the digitizer and pen, now with Windows 10 upgrade too.

Don't get me stared on the whole "digitizer" issue! 🙂

As for Windows 10, just keep your expectations realistic. It's still an underpowered laptop, and some aspects of system performance - notably, the Edge browser - can be rather laggy. It's better than nothing (and well worth checking out to see what all the hubbub is about), but if you want a truly functional laptop with no driver-related compromises, stick to Windows 8/8.1.

RCK

HP Recommended
Sorry for asking this again, but once intel updates the driver to be compatible with Windows 10, if I was using Windows 10 with the incompatible driver, would it be an easy update to the compatible one?

I'm wondering if it would be better to roll it back to Windows 8.1 until the driver is fixed. This is not my primary pc, and as I mentioned, I'm looking to sell it, so the display issues are not really a problem for me except that I won't be able to sell it updated to Windows 10 to a tech illiterate individual.

I just don't imagine I'll get much for it (not that I will get much over $200 anyway) if I sell it as "currently incompatible with Windows 10'
HP Recommended

@Nolegrl wrote:
Sorry for asking this again, but once intel updates the driver to be compatible with Windows 10, if I was using Windows 10 with the incompatible driver, would it be an easy update to the compatible one?

I'm wondering if it would be better to roll it back to Windows 8.1 until the driver is fixed. This is not my primary pc, and as I mentioned, I'm looking to sell it, so the display issues are not really a problem for me except that I won't be able to sell it updated to Windows 10 to a tech illiterate individual.

I just don't imagine I'll get much for it (not that I will get much over $200 anyway) if I sell it as "currently incompatible with Windows 10'

You're assuming that HP/Intel/Microsoft will eventually upgrade the driver. There is no guarantee that this will ever happen. None of the relevant parties have made any commitment one way or the other.

At this point the Envy x2 is technically unsupported by Windows 10, and any declaration to the contrary is purely speculation.

RCK

HP Recommended

Been taking care rather well of my Envy x2 since I bought it some 2 1/2 years ago, never missing updates/ upgrades etc. but only to end up this way. Am feeling betrayed actually. So that's it! No more HP's after this!

HP Recommended
I feel your pain! I tried to take good care of my x2, and even bought a new digitizer for it with the original cracked after my backpack took a tumble. It really does offer a unique form factor, and I was looking forward to continued use under Windows 10. I never thought for a second that HP would leave me high and dry like this.

If it's any consolation, know that we're not alone in this. Owners of the Lenovo Thinkpad 2, Dell Latitude 10 and ASUS VivoTab are in the same boat, as are our "cousins" over in the ElitePad forum. The Intel Atom z2760 chipset was widely adopted by many different vendors. Hopefully our combined cries for relief will sput Intel to action.

RCK
HP Recommended

although unsupported mines working better on windows 10 than on windows 8.1, hopefully they will get their heads together and bring uptodate drivers.  So far I've had bugs which are windows related rather than the display driver. I've noticed no issues with using edge etc.

HP Recommended

Well, did the upgrade to Windows 10 Home on my HP Envy X2. Played with it for a day or so, but decided to revert back to Windows 8.1. Ran into some problems after the rollback, but managed to get things working properly again.

I have Windows 10 installed on other computers, so I am familiar with how it works. The HP Envy X2 is my secondary laptop for light duty.

But on the HP Envy X2, while it installed and ran okay, I felt that the laptop ran better with Windows 8.1 on it. Because there is no official Win10 video driver available, it uses a basic Windows video driver. The display just felt very laggy. Not sure if this is entirely due to the video driver, or maybe running Windows 10 on the Atom processor is slow anyway, or combination of the two.

Anyway, I figure since we have 350+ more days to make a final decision, hopefully someone will at least come up with a Win10 compatible driver by then.

Till then, Windows 8.1 will remain on my HP Envy X2.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.