Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
So, what is the version number for this "new" driver? Because I'm checking Windows Update daily and I haven't seen anything released. As far as anyone knows, the 9.14.3.1177 driver for Windows 8.1 is the very newest version available, and it was produced way back  in 2013.

Also, Intel has stated in various forums/twitter posts that z2760-based systems will NOT be getting an updated driver for Windows 10 (something to do with the PowerVR 545 design that this version of GMA is is built on being produced by Samsung). In other words, Windows 8.1 is the end of the line for the Envy x2, Dell Latitude 10, Lenovo ThinkPad 2 and Miix series, ASUS VivoTab, HP ElitePad G1, etc. - at least as far as "official" support under Windows 10 goes.

Basically, we've all been screwed over when it comes to full Windows 10 comptability, while 7-8 year old laptops and desktops are running it just fine. Seems the days of nearly universal backwards compatibility under Windows are over.

If you can live with the glitches and stability issues, more power to you. I, for one, will be grabbing a new Surface 3 as soon as I can since Microsoft devices are the only ones getting reliable driver support these days (shades of Google and Nexus products).

RCK
HP Recommended
You're quite right, indeed I still have 9.14.3.1177!
But still I got updated to Windows 10 yesterday and I haven't done any tricks to get it.
Just got the pop-up that the update was ready for download and I accepted and it installed...
HP Recommended

@skaris wrote:
You're quite right, indeed I still have 9.14.3.1177!
But still I got updated to Windows 10 yesterday and I haven't done any tricks to get it.
Just got the pop-up that the update was ready for download and I accepted and it installed...

Oh great. So now they're officially allowing us to install Windows 10 onto our Envy x2 PCs despite acknowledging publicly that they will NOT be supporting Windows 10 on the Envy x2.

It just gets better and better... 😞

RCK

HP Recommended

I went to the MS site,  used the media creation tool to create the media on a USB drive and used it to update my Envy X2 to Win 10.  Absolutely no issues with the Update other than it being a VERY SLOW process!   I have been using about a week now and have found nothing that does not work.  I had read of some problems about screen rotation, but mine works just fine!!  So all being said, there may not be an "official" approval for an update, but it is possible and works just fine!  Maybe some power user could find something that does not work, but I have a hard time thinking of a power user choosing to use this tablet???  I am going to continue to use mine with the Win 10.  If it finally crashes, I can always go back to Win 8.1.

HP Recommended
I wish this would work for me. I really don't want to have to jump through hoops to get it. Of all my PCs, I really wanted to use this form factor on windows 10.

Glad you got yours though.
HP Recommended

Well, that was really unusual.

After I did the workaround with installing the non-HP Intel driver, and upgraded to Windows 10, then rolled-back to Windows 8.1 because it used a basic video driver. Using the Microsoft display driver resulted in high CPU usage and constant disk access, which made the whole machine laggy.

Ran into many problems.

First, the roll-back to Win 8.1 broke a lot of things with my installed programs, and some things started not working right. I decided to do a Refresh, since it said it would keep my files intact.

Ran into a problem with the Win8/Win 8.1 files. I had a Recovery USB stick from HP, but that was Win8. I had to create a Recovery USB stick for Win8.1, then the Refresh started okay, but took a couple of hours.

After the refresh, I ran into more problems, had to struggle to reinstall all the necessary drivers for everything.

Once all the drivers were installed, things worked better. I ran through all the Windows Updates. Got the HP Envy X2 all updated, and I noticed the Windows 10 Upgrade icon back, so I checked it out for fun. This time, it did not report my video driver, Intel GMA driver 9.14.3.1177 as non-compatible. 

Anyway, I decided, why not, and let the Windows 10 upgrade go ahead. Everything seemed to work out normally. No error messages during the installation.

Now the HP Envy X2 is working great with Windows 10, and the Display Adapter shows it is using the Intel GMA driver 9.14.3.1177. The screen lag (and general machine lag) I was seeing before with the basic Microsoft display driver is no more.  This forced me to go back to Windows 8.1 the first time, but now with the Intel GMA driver, CPU usage is normal and disk access is normal.

So, not sure if you need to go through the Refresh step or reinstall OS or whatever. But Windows 10 looks like it is now compatible with the HP Envy X2.

Going through the Device Manager does show some problems.

Generic SDIO Device shows no "No compatible drivers for this device".

Same thing for Intel Dynamic Platform & Thermal Framework entries, shows "No compatible drivers for this device".

Searching automatically gets no results.

But everything seems to be working fine. I can access my MicroSD and SD card slots. So, if someone knows what these are for and if there are updated drivers for them, let us know.

HP Recommended

Thank you much aguilajary!  It worked, I have Windows 10!!

HP Recommended

I just experienced the same thing (minus the rollback issues).  After rolling back, my Windows 10 reservation flag popped up and said it wasn't compatible. Then all of a sudden, today, it said it was compatible and it could update to 10! So I updated again. I'm still getting used to it, so I'll have to read back and see what issues people were having after forcing the 10 update. I decided to give the laptop to my parents, instead of selling it, but I hope that was a legitimate update and not a false positive because 10 had previously been installed or something.

HP Recommended

I upgraded to windows 10 . It does run a little better , but I still think it would be much better with linux. But so far  it seems to be stuck with windows.

HP Recommended

I started using Windows 10 Insider Preview on the Envy X2 in February. I am now on Windows 10 1115 after rolling back to Windows 8 and a USB ISO update to Windows 10.

I was having issues with text not appearing in the Tabs at the top of the Edge browser. There is no help on the Windows Insider forums but this thread was helpful as I still had the 9.14.3.1168 GMA driver.

I was going to try the Lenovo link for the driver but first I tried clicking on Device Manager/Display Adapter/Update Driver - this downloaded the updated the driver automatically to 9.14.3.1177.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.