Question

Honor Student
pappadan
Message 1 of 6 (5,893 Views)

flickering green dots on laptop display

I have a HP DV9727US laptop running Vista Home Premium. Recently, I started noticing flickering green dots on the desktop. I tried System Restore and updated my BIOS and video driver etc. No luck. Now, I have noticed that the problem goes away when the display is half way closed. Would appreciate anyone's help.
Master's Graduate
samschilling
Message 2 of 6 (5,879 Views)

Re: flickering green dots on laptop display

Sounds like it could be an issue with the ribbon cable that connects your video output to the LCD screen.

Restart your notebook and tap F10 to boot into BIOS and see if the issue persists.

Honor Student
pappadan
Message 3 of 6 (5,859 Views)

Hello Sam,

I booted into the Bios setup. I still see the green highlights in the Bios setup (green cursor location and scroll bar). I did not mention previously that I have an entirely green screen during a normal bootup. The flickering green dots continue. Thanks for your help.

Honor Student
doctor_d
Message 4 of 6 (5,836 Views)

I have exactly the same problem.  The flickering goes away in about an hour each time, after the computer warms up.  But it comes back after the notebook has been turned off for a few minutes.

I have an HP Pavillion dv9700.

Am very much interested in a solution other than sending back to HP for two weeks for a repair.

Honor Student
doctor_d
Message 5 of 6 (5,805 Views)

I just tried and mine goes away as well when I close the screen part way.  Anyone have a solution?
Master's Graduate
samschilling
Message 6 of 6 (5,793 Views)

Yeah, if the issue changes when you move the screen, it's definately the ribbon cable.

That's an issue that is only solved by repair of the notebook, it's a hardware problem.

Call HP Total Care if you are under warranty or take it to a local service center.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation