Question

Student
razor154
Message 1 of 7 (2,314 Views)

g72-250us screen goes to white after startup.

windows repair fixes it temporarily. It only started doing this recently,, the screen just flashes white after windows starts up, but before the logon screen. 

Student
Tifwoodsy_03
Message 2 of 7 (2,292 Views)

Re: g72-250us screen goes to white after startup.

I'm having the same exact problem for no reason what so ever. I dunno what to do
Student
FEHuber
Message 3 of 7 (2,289 Views)

I have an HP G72 Notebook PC -- the screen also goes to flickering white, but not just after start up; at any odd time. When I close the screen and re-sign-in, it goes away for a while, but always comes back.

Of course, the PC is one month out of warranty!!

What is it?

Top Student
SharkeyComp
Message 4 of 7 (2,215 Views)

While dealing with this issue for a customer, I took the laptop apart. Unfortunately this model requires almost a complete disassembly to get to the connections for the video cable on the motherboard and the screen's circuit board/inverter on the back of the lcd screen. When I finally got it apart, I looked at the connection between the video cable and the circuit board. The connection was slightly out on one edge. It wasn't seated all the way into the connector. It was held in with tape. Not sure if the connection worked loose each time the lid opened and closed or if it was originally assembled that way. I removed the connector by pealing the tape gently back and slid the connector from the slot. Then reseated the connection and secured it with the tape. After reassembly of the machine, all seemed great with no more white screen at start-up. So far so good. You can find the manual for maintenance and parts replacement on HP's support website:G72-250us Service Manual PDF

LCD Video Cable Connector

Good Luck and I hope this helps.

Top Student
SharkeyComp
Message 5 of 7 (2,214 Views)

Sorry the link didn't work for some reason:

Try this one:G72-250us Service Manual PDF

If this one doesn't work go to hp support and drivers and click on the manuals link.

Good luck

Top Student
SharkeyComp
Message 6 of 7 (1,345 Views)

Just an update on the white screen. The screen worked for a while but after a year it started to get worse. To the point, it would do it all the time. So the crooked video cable, was not the true culprit. I ended up replacing the lcd screen with a new one. It has been running for a few months with no flickering or white screen. That seemed to be the trick and was not as expensive as I thought. The screen ran under $100. Good luck.

Student
JonO3000
Message 7 of 7 (20 Views)

[ Edited ]

Thanks Sharkeycomp. I know it's been a while, but that may have been a picture of the back of my screen! 

Brilliant!

SharkeyComp wrote:

While dealing with this issue for a customer, I took the laptop apart. Unfortunately this model requires almost a complete disassembly to get to the connections for the video cable on the motherboard and the screen's circuit board/inverter on the back of the lcd screen. When I finally got it apart, I looked at the connection between the video cable and the circuit board. The connection was slightly out on one edge. It wasn't seated all the way into the connector. It was held in with tape. Not sure if the connection worked loose each time the lid opened and closed or if it was originally assembled that way. I removed the connector by pealing the tape gently back and slid the connector from the slot. Then reseated the connection and secured it with the tape. After reassembly of the machine, all seemed great with no more white screen at start-up. So far so good. You can find the manual for maintenance and parts replacement on HP's support website:G72-250us Service Manual PDF

LCD Video Cable Connector

Good Luck and I hope this helps.

saved me a lot of messing around with replacement inverters and backlights.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation