Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Well, downgraded AMD and Intel graphics drivers and the result was a Windows 10 load failure, interrupt error and loop of death!

Windows 10 doesn't accept F8 for a safe mode so built an ISO on USB from a different machine and attempted to reset the graphics from there.

Eventually used the USB version of Win 10 to revert my notebook to Windows 7. HDMI working perfectly again.

Look out if you need to get to a safe mode in Windows 10 as this needs to be done BEFORE you need it, unless I'm mistaken....

Will look out for a new versions of the AMD / Intel Graphics drivers that work for Windows 10 before going there again.

Had nothing better to do over the weekend. 🙂

HP Recommended

Hi benvious, thanks for the comment. I also discovered that safe mode was not accessible,  so did not attempt yet to replace the (bad) working driver.  I used the free online upgrade provided by microsoft, so having a Win 10 setup and full backup from the old system on C:. Restriction is, I can use it for recovery only until the end of this month.  Fortunately, 2 months ago, I did a migration from HDD to SSD leaving HDD in original state. So having a good backup when all fails. It's pity, win 7 ran on ssd much faster, but win 10 even more faster so I like to use it. For I'm doing somewhat in foto and video editing, graphics and HDMI should work correct... If free upgrade expires I think it's not worth to get it for this  5 year old notebook and run win 7 until end of lifetime...

HP Recommended
Does anyone knows when they are going to fix this? Or should I buy another laptop?
HP Recommended

Hi, be patient. I'm in discussion with a member of MIrosoft community forum who seems to have some insight  what's going behind the scene. Beside he confirmed for my case it 's a driver issue he said about half october a great update  is planned when all hardware vendors have done their homework (updated drivers).

HP Recommended

thanks HasChe.

tuf choice.

whether to wait for months for a fix.

or to go back to windows 7 now.

i only use my laptop for sending videoes over hdmi to tv!

so it is useless to me as of now.

i have desktop, tablets and phone for other things, like most of us.

wish HP did its homework beforehand.

Microsoft and HP, old partners, should have atleast tested it beforehand. unprofessional really.

HP Recommended

Hi, I agree with your point concerning Microsofts testing before update. But there's hope, a few hours ago I received a mail from Windows update that I can run the update within a few days or weeks (!). So the clearing for update at july 29 seems to be a mistake. I'll go back as well and see what happens. Hope you get a similair announcement!

HP Recommended

frankly i dont really need 10. i am fine with 7 on this laptop.

but it wud take a few hours to go back to 7. which i do not want to waste.

best wud be if a fix was issued by HP ASAP, working with AMD and Microsoft.

it is things like these which are forcing people to give up PCs. another fail from Microsoft.

if any of my tablets had hdmi i wud have sold or donated this laptop !

HP Recommended

Just I went back to win7 . As far as I  can see now all is working as before. Back going took at me about 15 minutes.

HP Recommended

nice hasche. me not so lucky. wish i had taken a backup right before starting the upgrade !

last backup i have is pretty old so if i use it to go back then there would be tons of updates to do. so it would surely take me a few hours to get it all done. would also use up a chunk of my broadband data quota (in updates)!

HP Recommended

I had the same problem all of you had.  The AMD/AIT Mobility Radeon switchable graphics configuration became non-functional upon upgrading to Windows 10 (HDMI output also lost functionality because it depends on the dedicated graphics card, not the Intel integrated chipset).  HP basically used 'modded' AMD drivers to enable the switchable graphics back then when Windows 7 was new, but those special display drivers are not compatible with Windows 10. 

I tried everything, as noted in my own post about this issue.  Using the latest drivers from AMD won't work, because those were made for a standard setup with a single graphics card.  The only people that can fix this is HP by releasing new switchable graphics drivers for Windows 10.  Until then, the dedicated graphics card is just dead weight and you're stuck using the integrated Intel graphics chipset (and no ability to connect to external display with HDMI).

The only current solution is to revert back to Windows 7, which is what I did this morning.  I had no other choice because I tried to force Windows to use my Mobility Radeon by disabling the Intel graphics chipset in the device manager in Windows 10.  This caused the screen to go blank and my notebook to get stuck in the reboot loop of death.  Couldn't even access safe mode.  Luckily I had a Windows 10 installation image DVD which includes system restore tools, and that allowed me to return to Windows 7 ("previous build").  Thankfully I didn't have to reinstall everything and it's just like I never installed Windows 10 in the first place.

I would be exceedingly disappointed if HP does not develop new drivers for Windows 10.  It's not right that I should have to just give up my ability to connect to an external display by upgrading to Windows 10 because HP has whacky custom drivers that they aren't willing to update.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.