Question

Honor Student
laurie83833
Message 1 of 3 (357 Views)

how do I reset or change my display from external to laptop moniter.

I connected my laptop to an external monitor HDTV and when I connected the RGB cable to the laptop and the TV I got the message do you want both displays or external to show all (something like that) anyrate I selected show all on external.  So then my laptop screen goes blank and I cannot see anything on my external moniter either as it comes up invalid format.    Thing is I want to set my laptop screen dual display to show on both so that it does not black out when I connect the RGB cable so that I can troubleshoot why it is not appearing on my HDTV.

Does this make sense?  Running Vista on my laptop which I do not like by the way but that is the IS that is in this thing.

Please help very frustrated at this point.

Thank you,

Honor Student
laurie83833
Message 2 of 3 (349 Views)

Re: how do I reset or change my display from external to laptop moniter.

Nevermind I figured it out..

Thanks,,

Student
tommymigs
Message 3 of 3 (201 Views)

Re: how do I reset or change my display from external to laptop moniter.

Wow I did the same thing. Can you tell me how you figured it out? I guess you know how frustrated I am haha. I've adjusted and changed the settings in control panel and video card settings (nvidia)
When I originally set to external only it was a popup option for nvidia display options. I can't find it again. The control panel options don't have the same choices. I just hooked up a computer monitor and it shows split screen, both monitors working. Identifying monitors, laptop #2 and monitor #1. I hooked it back up to the tv and immediately the tv turned on with invalid format. Identifying monitors when unplugged from tv obviously shows #1, but laptop is still blank when plugged into tv. Im rambling but any advice would be great
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation