Question

Student
needsomehelppls
Message 1 of 3 (3,107 Views)

how to upgrade graphics card in HP ENVY 15t-j100 Quad Edition Notebook PC

i have gotton my HP ENVY 15t-j100 Quad Edition Notebook PC on black friday for a sale. i was unable to upgrade the graphics card so all i have is the standard intel craphics. how can i upgrade the laptop so it is the NVIDIA GeForce GT 740M graphic card?

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 2 of 3 (3,083 Views)

Re: how to upgrade graphics card in HP ENVY 15t-j100 Quad Edition Notebook PC

Hi:

You trade yours in, and buy the model with the NVIDIA GeForce GT 740M, or you will pay more than you did for your notebook just to replace the motherboard so that you can have the NVIDIA GeForce GT 740M graphics adapter.

One cannot simply upgrade the graphics adapters in most notebooks. It requires a complete motherboard exchange.

Student
Brazenhawk
Message 3 of 3 (2,749 Views)

Re: how to upgrade graphics card in HP ENVY 15t-j100 Quad Edition Notebook PC

I have just started working with the J100 models.  The other poster was correct.  If you only have the Intel graphics chipset you are stuck and would have to change out the motherboard to one that has the Nvidia chipset built on the motherboard.  

On the J100 series, it is not a "graphics card", it is a graphics chip that is on the motherboard itself.  I will be working on the actual board to see if the graphics GPU can be upgraded.  This one will come with the 740M, but I have another motherboard that has the 750M.  There is no "latch" on the GPU, but it may be able to be pried up.  If you are not familiar with doing this kind of process I highly recommend you NOT doing it yourself, because if you mess it up, its going to be toast.   This level of change takes someone with good experience with working on laptops, because they can be a bear to work on, unlike most desktop units.

Also, I have noticed with the J100 series, you need to consider that they are basically not upgradable in almost every fashion.  If you look at the BIOS on the series, they have almost everything locked down, so making even simple changes that use to be able to be done are now gone.  So if you get one, make sure you get all options from the purchase from the start, because any plans of future "upgrades" (with the exception of ram...and even the hard drives can be a pain to upgrade, like to SSD) will be almost non-existant.

Hope this helps!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation