Question

Top Student
tjtracy
Message 1 of 12 (24,761 Views)

hp G6000 Laptop, screen going blank/black, but still running!

Hello, new to this site, but wonder if anyone can help. hp G6000 laptop, not quite 18mths old, window's vista operating system, will start up, allows me to put in password, then can see screen perfectly, then it loads all icon's then goes blank, not as black as when not on, so some sort of light behind and can hear laptop working behind, and if i leave it on it has flashed back so can see screen, then will just go black again after few seconds. Would appreciate if anyones' know's if this is fixable? Many thanks, Tracy
Honor Student
Boomer2558
Message 2 of 12 (24,753 Views)

Re: hp G6000 Laptop, screen going blank/black, but still running!

I had something like that happen to me about 6 months ago.  I was told to take battery out and wait about 5 minutes and put back in and turn back on.  It worked for me!
Top Student
tjtracy
Message 3 of 12 (24,747 Views)

have tried this several times now and it hasn't worked, but thank you for trying to help

Top Student
ICEMANMT
Message 4 of 12 (24,674 Views)

Looks like you are in the same boat as me.  I have a DV2000 notebook that is approximately 18 months old just old enough to be out of warranty.  The screen goes black and the cpu appears to run fine.  I have done some research and had two different repair shops check out my notebook.  Both service centers stated that the problem appears to be an internal problem with the hardware.  The motherboard and graphics card have an issue on several models where the soder does not stay in place due to heat and the graphics chip does not connect causing the screen to go black.  HP says they can fix it for approximately 400.00 however, I can almost buy a new one for that amount.  I have contacted HP support to no avail and they do not want to address this issue telling me that my CPU is not on the extended care list.  I asked them how do you get on that list then.  It appears as though I am not the only one with this issue and he advise that the manufacturer of the graphics card or motherboard contacts HP and tells them they might have a problem so they add it to extended care.  I asked what about consumers.  If 200 people have the same problem shouldn't you recongized this as a possible issue with your product and research it and placed it on the list.  I was told no it does not work that way.  So with that said I am not to happy with customer support or HP as a whole.  I have a computer that has limited use, never been dropped in perfect visual condition that has a bad motherboard due to an manufacturer defect and a company that says too bad.  You can buy a new one or spend almost as much replacing your defective motherboard by our service center.  Looks like I will not be buying anymore HP products and the few remaining ones that I have will be in the next yard sale.  Good luck, I hope you have more success with your service than I did.
Top Student
tjtracy
Message 5 of 12 (24,688 Views)

Well i'm with you on this one, contacted hp and was very disappointed with the customer care, basically the same as you, its out of warranty so thats that, and i said should last longer than this, the machine is in perfect condition, just this fault, which makes the product unusable, so i would never never buy another hp again.

but thank you for your comments, the more of us voice our opinion the better.

Student
trev24
Message 6 of 12 (24,100 Views)

I've just had the same problem only my daughters laptop won't run it just lights up and goes straight off, tried all sorts even contacting Hp online chat, although quite helpful but there was no joy... The laptop has never been dropped and is only 22 months old and that was a replacement for one that was only 1 month old i should've seen the signs then but i will never buy another Hp product again especially a new one, any way have taken it to a place called TRILOGIC and he says it's the Graphics card/ mother board and it's costing me 109.00 GBP... I wouldn't mind i deliberated for ages on which laptop to buy my daughter..ha ha more fool me.

Tutor
sherbertjello
Message 7 of 12 (24,042 Views)

Boomer2558 wrote:
I had something like that happen to me about 6 months ago.  I was told to take battery out and wait about 5 minutes and put back in and turn back on.  It worked for me!

Wait til your warranty runs out and then you find it was your video card. Try and see if the Nvidia card you are using falls in the category of "fail" by using google power.

:smileywink:

Tutor
sherbertjello
Message 8 of 12 (24,041 Views)

tjtracy wrote:

Well i'm with you on this one, contacted hp and was very disappointed with the customer care, basically the same as you, its out of warranty so thats that, and i said should last longer than this, the machine is in perfect condition, just this fault, which makes the product unusable, so i would never never buy another hp again.

but thank you for your comments, the more of us voice our opinion the better.

again, another faulty nvdia card. can you all go to your start menu, open upcontrol panel. go to hardware and sound, click. scroll down to device manager, click. then click on display adapters, click. it should drop down. 

now here you will see something called "NVIDIA ... " 

Mine happens to be a Nvidia Geforce 8600M GS. Find whatever yours is and search it in google. I suggest putting the words "failure" or "problems" in with the query. Then do a "HP" "NVIDIA" search together.

GOOD LUCK!

Student
sarah35721
Message 9 of 12 (19,738 Views)

I see allot of people are having issues with the graphics and wireless network cards on their HP G6000 Laptop, so I got myself one of these laptops which had the same issues, and were able to fix the problems, so for all those who want to fix the problem as well, I would like to share how I fixed my HP G6000 Laptop,

First switch on your HP G6000 laptop and continue to press the F10 key till you enter the bios,

When you have enter the bios, go to where it says System Configuration and press enter,  and there where it says Vram size press enter , and you will be giving four options, 32MB 64MB, 128mb and Disabled, highlight the 32mb using the on board arrows and press enter, when that’s done, go to exit and press exit saving changes, when your laptop reboots, when the laptop comes back on, you will have a display that will cause no issues, because the GPU is not giving of much heat, but do remember to leave the Graphics within the bios always running on 32MB of memory, for if you higher the Graphics up to 64 or 128MB, the graphics card will create more heat  which is the problem to why the graphics card is overheating in the first place, there is a fault within the GPU, so by reducing the MB within the GPU gives of little heat,

Not that that’s done, you may be thinking that 32MB of memory for the Graphics display will not be enough to run your application, videos and act perfectly,  well because the GPU takes extra memory from the on board memory that’s installed, by installing 2GB of memory in to the laptop, the  graphics will now be using 489MB of that memory  and the 32Mb within the GPU its self, which is a total of 521MB of memory which is more then enough to run all your application, videos and act,

As for the network wireless card issues, what’s causing this problem is a fault within the GPU were it is getting to hot and burning the wireless card,  so in either to fix this issue, you will need to get your hands on a “Broadcom  BCM4311kfbg wireless card” and after installing it in to your laptop, when you turn on the laptop, it will find the new hard ware and all you need to do is install the drivers for the network card and you will have wireless internet, but do remember if  you change the GPU back to running on either 64 or 128MB of memory, the GPU  will burn out the wireless card,

I have tried other wireless cards on this Laptop, but the laptop can’t find the hardware, the only wireless network card I found that work  perfectly is the Broadcom BCM4311kfbg which you can buy on eBay or pull one from another laptop,

Honor Student
Ninatec
Message 10 of 12 (17,671 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hello this is a very easy fix , if you know how !! The problem is with the graphics card chipset the graphics card over heats and fails. The fan must be cleaned out at least once a year or it will over heat. {content removed: advertisement} Dont sweat over this, its an easy repair. We really hope we can help.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation