Re: hp dv9500 screen problem (1537 Views)
Top Student
thesweet01
Message 1181 of 1,273 (1,537 Views)

Re: hp dv9500 screen problem

Well it looks like the problems never end. I am also a victim of HP's neglect. Placing malfunctioning equipment into a product and then ignoring ALL the cries of their victims. Then I speak with a case manager because she tells me that even if they "could" fix it they cant because they dont have the parts."  They tell me the although the NVIDIA graphics card 84xx and 86xx models with the AMD processors it's only select processors that it occurred with. So since I did have the video card with the exact model number but since the AMD processor didnt they can't do anything. Plus the warranty the issued out to repair it was only for a limited time. So I ask well did the engineers investigate ALL HP's current processors they had to ensure this issue would not occur. Of course the answer was no. DONT EXPECT ANY HELP FROM HP. I want to file a class action suite one has already been settled for other models I think we have a great chance. Contact me via email at s.davis.79@hotmail.com if you would like to join in on the pursuit and we can work together to make this happen. Also please contact the BBB regarding this. Why is it our problem (with the exact same issues) different?!?

Honor Student
calin8
Message 1182 of 1,273 (1,521 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hello.
I will post my story here too...
I used my Presario V6500 (V6515ES), brought in Spain, for about a year and a half before the first signs of a malfunction showed up. At first the sound card would disappear oddly, problem that would usually get fixed with a restart. Not long after that, nothing could bring the sound back, including OS reinstall, BIOS updates and factory resets. On top of all the notebook started crashing for good, continuously restarting and without any display activity. At first various fixes like removing the battery and sometimes just leaving it for a time to rest would bring back a temporary functionality, but in time nothing i did to it helped. At that point i decided it check it in to a professional service and get it fixed. There i found out for the first time that it's actually a common issues with HP/Compaq notebooks and the fix is re-soldering the gpu chip witch due to heat problems in time stops to work. It was fixed but not a month after i took it back, the notebook died again with the same symptoms, loss of sound then fail to power on. It was fixed again and the guys there told me that as many times i go to them eventually i will have to return, as there is no permanent fix other than changing the entire motherboard.
Not long after it failed again and so it stayed until one evening, when out of curiosity, i opened it and with a heat gun, a copper coin and some aluminium foil fixed the gpu chip. (youtube step by step tutorial for those interested in adventures: www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnkQNmKauEc  , check related videos too). Worked great for a couple of weeks, but now (hence my presence here) the sound card is not detectable and had a few crashes already that for sure will be followed by another permanent death.
I can't say i have an extended knowledge of the source of  the problem, still i do not agree to the fact that it was kinda ignored. I can say that in my limited professional (just a computer science student) opinion the design of the cooling system (at least for my model on which i experimented, others can't be much different, but i'll refrain from generalizing) is flawed and looks cheep. Still who i am to say that, from little research i made till now it seems that the foul can easily be Nvidia's (http://www.nvidiasettlement.com/ ).
Good luck to everyone and hopefully less trips to tech support in the future. 
Tutor
Tazzman
Message 1183 of 1,273 (1,496 Views)

reflow gpu. read my articles. My laptop is going on 5+yrs

Student
PJDev
Message 1184 of 1,273 (1,398 Views)

[ Edited ]

My DV9500 failed, MasterCard covered the fix, 3 months later it did it again.  I received this email today stating:

"On December 20, 2010, the United States District Court for the Northern District of California, San Jose Division, approved the NVIDIA GPU Litigation class action settlement. If you are eligible, you may now file a claim."

Great, but the DV9500 is not on the claim list?  Seriously?

http://www.Nvidiasettlement.com

Tutor
Munchausen
Message 1185 of 1,273 (1,370 Views)

[ Edited ]

Well after 1 year and 5 months later since my DV9000 video went kablooey..and all that email from the class action lawsuit..just because of 1 letter.. 1 LETTER my DV9000 is not in the class action lawsuit..I mean really did they even look at ALL of the laptop that had the Nvidia chipset?  Probably not.  SO I have a 1500.00 paper weight.  Really this is just stupid on HP part, Nvidia part and now the people of the class action lawsuit that did not do their home work fault (I bet the went on just what info HP/Nvidia gave them..they know there are ALOT more system out there that have the same problem).

[text removed]

Student
wasaloyalhpuser
Message 1186 of 1,273 (1,356 Views)

i have been a loyal Hp user for several years , still have 2 hp pc's purchased 9500 2007 payed dearly for it , a custom order

had no problems... until the blank screen of death took this useless piece of profit margin to my local geek , he informed me to throw it away and buy a mac!! , informed me that he alone had 23 of these in the last few months with same prob. and even if i shell out the $$$ to repair i would be getting the same CRAPPY nvidia chipset, No said I , i will pray to the Hp god and plead

my case !!! hahaha , the barely able to speak english tech couldn't even tell me if this part would not have the same problem

so what to do???  i think i will paint it bright orange attach it to the roof of my daily commuter with a sign this is a 1500.00

pigeon target, and when anyone asks and they will i will inform them to buy anything except HP!!!!.    HP step up to the plate

do what is right.

Honor Student
lilliana21
Message 1187 of 1,273 (1,128 Views)

I have a HPdv9720Us with the Nvidia 7150 series card and is still working perfectly knock on wood any one having problems with this setup also has a Turion 64X2 had another one a HP9700t CTO which was intel powered with Nvidia and had the problem black screen.

Honor Student
lilliana21
Message 1188 of 1,273 (1,126 Views)

The settlement I believe will alow all systems with Nvidia chips to get some help check out the settlement page for a form to fill out for anyone still having problems

Honor Student
BubbaGump4Eva
Message 1189 of 1,273 (1,019 Views)

Why is the DV9500 not in the eligible computers for the class action?? A huge number of the posts on here are specifically about this problem with the DV9500! Anyone have any insight on this?

Thanks! Another user with a rapidly failing Nvidia chipset on a DV9500!

Provost
CherylG
Message 1190 of 1,273 (992 Views)

BubbaGump4Eva wrote:

Why is the DV9500 not in the eligible computers for the class action?? A huge number of the posts on here are specifically about this problem with the DV9500! Anyone have any insight on this?

Thanks! Another user with a rapidly failing Nvidia chipset on a DV9500!

The class action was started some time ago by owners of the DV series manufactured before the DV9500.

******Clicking the Thumbs-Up button on the left is a way to say Thanks!.******
**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue to help others who are searching**
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation