Question
hp dv9500 screen problem
Replies (1272)

Top Student
OliverB
Message 252 of 1,273 (5,279 Views)

Re: hp dv9500 screen problem

Add me up to the hundreds of users encountering this problem. bought my 9700t CTO last jan 2008, and just crashed last mon (4/21) while watching a movie on the laptop. screen wen blank. rebooted the machine and it was fine although when i checked the display driver it was something like xwga. i tried to reinstall the nvidia driver from the hp site, once it rebooted, all i got was a 640x480 4bit effin display! i restored the machine to factory presets using the recovery disks but to no avail. i just found out today from the forums all over the web about this problem with the 8400 and 8600 chip. **bleep**, a thousand dollar laptop going for just a little over 15 months.
Intern
SolveMyMaze
Message 253 of 1,273 (5,271 Views)

**bleep**, that sucks, and ozzy, your right. They need to get this whole situation sorted. Personally I think the Paul Mack that I spoke to was lying to me. I had spoke to him previously when HP lost the laptop twice (yeah thats right, they lost that **bleep** thing twice while it was in their repair centre, and tried to blame me) and give him hell down the phone.

HP, I hope your reading this, you are the worst company EVER. I don't mean that in a blaise way, you truly are the worst company on the planet. You don't give a crap about your customers, but more than happy to take a fortune off of them. 

Tutor
rockyisle
Message 254 of 1,273 (5,267 Views)

For what it's worth, I opened the HP Advisor dashboard and re-loaded my BIOS last night.  When I rebooted, my display started working again.  who knows how long that will last... but it's worth a shot... I have a dv9500 entertainment 17" system... very frustrating....
Tutor
ozzy2669
Message 255 of 1,273 (5,255 Views)

rockyisle wrote:
For what it's worth, I opened the HP Advisor dashboard and re-loaded my BIOS last night.  When I rebooted, my display started working again.  who knows how long that will last... but it's worth a shot... I have a dv9500 entertainment 17" system... very frustrating....

Do not trust this computer, back up all of your important information, the only reason I even have another dv9200 is a friend of mine had one as a spare, so I just put my hard drives from my bad 9200 and put them into my friends 9200, I told my friend that this one will fail also, it's just a matter of time, at least I have all of my important data off the computer now.

I wrote a letter to Costco, with hope that they could help me, here was the reply

Thank you for your email to Costco Wholesale.

Returns are accepted within 90 days from the date of purchase for the following items:  televisions, projectors, computers, cameras, camcorders, iPod/MP3 devices, and cell phones. 
Unfortunately, your purchase date is beyond the 90-day window for returns.  Please contact the manufacturer for warranty assistance.
Your feedback is very important to us and we take your concerns and comments very seriously regarding our new return policy. 
We sincerely appreciate you taking the time to let us know how you feel and hope that you will continue to trust Costco for all of your shopping needs.

Thank you,

Brenda
Costco Wholesale Corporation

Yeah that was a lot of help...

Tutor
rockyisle
Message 256 of 1,273 (5,251 Views)

All of my important things have been backed up onto my desktop computer for safe keeping... but thanks for the warning... I got my 9500 at Staples for $600 with a printer during one of their holiday specials.  until now, I've loved it.. have had no problems... so I'm hoping that this is all bios or software driver issues that can be resolved at some point.

When the screen went out, I used my external flat screen.. but hate being thethered.... that's why I bought a laptop

Tutor
Kyle2007
Message 257 of 1,273 (5,236 Views)

Wow, I am amazed, this forum keeps geting larger and larger. when is HP going to realize that we are not going to stop complaining about these issues? I read this forum every day or so, and new people just keep adding. the extent of this problem is very extreme and i personally think that HP should do something about this. HP told me a few weeks ago that they were done dealing with me, they told me : NO WARRANTY = NO SERVICE. I told them that it was there fault in the first place that my computer had failed, since they are the people who built the computer with defective parts. HP keeps telling me that the nvidia 8600gs isnt defective, and we  all know otherwise. They obiviously know how to con you out of money, that is the only assumption that i can come up with. i know that there are a few hundred people who post there problems on this forum, but think about it, there has to be thousands of defective computers. i have a nice looking computer, that doesnt work, and trust me, i didnt buy the computer to look nice.

HP gave me the run around for weeks just to inform me that they WERE NOT going to do anything. Well you know what i think?........ yeah you do. this is a bunch of bolgna, i love my useless computer, at least it keeps my papers from blowing away while im working outside. the new formula is: NO WARRANTY = NO SERVICE = VERY UNHAPPY CUSTOMERS, which then equals tons of people complaining.

HP is Reliable full of crap, give me my $1600 back, so i can invest it into a better company, who might give me a more reliable computer.

HP THIS COMMENT IS DIRECTED AT YOU

If you dont fix all of these nice peoples problems, then I know alot and i mean alot of people who will never, and i mean never own other HP products in there life, and also there friends family, and others will never own HP products.

Simply put, you are giving yourselves bad names, and if thats what you want thats what you will get.

FIX OUR COMPUTERS

Tutor
ozzy2669
Message 258 of 1,273 (5,229 Views)

DHight wrote:
I have just confirmed that there is a Class Action Suit and a Judge has determined the primary team.  HP should of stepped up!

Who is the Class Action through, I looked up a few and 1 has to do with the power connector, if there is a new class action that will cover our GPU issues, let us all know so we can get signed up with it.
Honor Student
stevepavilion
Message 259 of 1,273 (5,145 Views)

Hey there I got a generic one - just at any local PC shop , it looks like this http://www.compusb.com/miusb20tosaa.html and has adapters for the hp hard drive - you have to take off the end part on the drive which is easy, and then connect the sata adaptor and connect the power and then you can use it like any usb drive, which is really brillaint! So hope that helps you.

Now I called HP about my 2nd motherboard which was still under the 3 month back to base - and they sent one out the next day, I have installed it and it is working now - butr i will keep you all updated and let you know how it goes after 3 months.

Intern
ofinigan
Message 260 of 1,273 (5,129 Views)

My computer is a HP Pavilion dv9700 CTO Entertainment Notebook PC with the same grey screen and lines.  It is just out of warranty and HP said it is not on the list to be fixed, it also has a NVIDIA 8600 graphics card.  It would be over 400 with shipping to get my $1600+ laptop fixed.  The question is will I recommend HP/Compaq?  I will be the voice of total protest because I work in a computer field and directly inform multiple people about which products to buy.   Their initial fix for these products was to send out a BIOS update that turns the fan on these hot graphic cards, so that they run all the time in order to extend their life a few months until the normal warranty of the laptop expires.  Their total lack of customer service and commitment to quality is not going to go unnoticed but will be voiced often to anyone who even mentions HP, in fact I like HP printers but now I will recommend other printers like Canon.  Please DO NOT BUY HP, other companies have noticed the problem with the NVIDIA chipsets and have recalled their products, but not this company.  I called two different support numbers and emailed but they still say that because I am out of warrant that they are out of service unless I want to buy it, and what would I get, most likely a replacement motherboard that would probably fail in another 12-15 months.
Intern
DHight
Message 261 of 1,273 (5,125 Views)

So called HP again today....  I am actually still on the phone as there is nothing I currently need to focus on.  I am actually using this time to document my evidence.  So far... 77:00 minutes.  ha ha ha  I know sad...So I am going to use my other line and get Nvidia on the phone.  And then get Nvidia to do a conference call to HP all while I stay on hold on the other line. 

Even though my machine has the defective 8600m GeForce chipset in it they said no machines that have the Intel CPU's in them will not be included under the extended warranty.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation