hp dv9500 screen problem (69456 Views)
Student
jonnybull
Message 1061 of 1,273 (2,060 Views)

Re: hp dv9500 screen problem

Yep, my DV9500 (or officially 9655ea) has gone to computer heaven - bought for around £600 about 18 months ago, and now the screen has gone thanks to the overworked graphics chip (or whatever this problem is). Have I seriously got no rights for this as its out of warranty - this is an absolute disgrace and I won't be using HP ever again. I've got so much stuff on the laptop that I've lost baby photo's etc, and I am absolutely seething about it. I loved it when it was working, but it always ran hot and now the screen has gone completely. Is there anything...ANYTHING... that I can do? It was such a great laptop when it worked.
Top Student
RobGinNC
Message 1062 of 1,273 (2,059 Views)

[ Edited ]

You should still be able to get stuff off the disk even if you can't use the system. If you don't know how to get the disk out and connect it to another system I suggest you take it to a reputable computer service store. They should be able to help you.

Top Student
laptoptroubles
Message 1063 of 1,273 (2,050 Views)

boy lots of posts have been taken down
Student
YvonneAC
Message 1064 of 1,273 (2,021 Views)

My dv9500 laptop died too, had it for around 18months and exactly the same problem as so many others have detailed here. The is ridiculous, HP need to fix these machines at their cost!

Top Student
Glabgloddy
Message 1065 of 1,273 (2,019 Views)

Sorry you have joined the throng of angry ex-HP customers johnnybull- things you can do at this point-

1- Yes your data will be safe on the hard drive- which can be transferrred to another laptop and everything will still be accessible.

2- Looks like you bought it in the UK so you can take it back to your retailer and tell them the computer is defective (Known manufacturing defect at time of manufacture) is and always was unfit for purpose and that they have to do something about it under the 1974 Sale of Goods Act- some posts on earlier pages have noted success with this AND the big point is that since HP treats the individual users of their products with complete contempt, our only recourse is to swamp their retailers with cpomplaints which HAVE to be fixed at the retailer's expense. Pretty soon H-P will disappear of the retailers' shelves because the hard-nosed people running the likes of PC World etc won't be wanting to stock such dodgy merchandise. Now THAT will hit HP where it hurts. And

3- It is possible to repair the motherboard to make the graphics chip work again... I did it myself, it took a long time which is a financial loss for me, but its still working 5 months on. It WILL fail again though due to the known manufactuling defect in the Nvidia chip.

Hope some of this helps- go to the retailer!- Cheers.

Top Student
laptoptroubles
Message 1066 of 1,273 (1,980 Views)

jonnybull wrote:
Yep, my DV9500 (or officially 9655ea) has gone to computer heaven - bought for around £600 about 18 months ago, and now the screen has gone thanks to the overworked graphics chip (or whatever this problem is). Have I seriously got no rights for this as its out of warranty - this is an absolute disgrace and I won't be using HP ever again. I've got so much stuff on the laptop that I've lost baby photo's etc, and I am absolutely seething about it. I loved it when it was working, but it always ran hot and now the screen has gone completely. Is there anything...ANYTHING... that I can do? It was such a great laptop when it worked.

yea recovering the data from the HDD's isnt tough, dv9000 series had two hdd bays as you turn the laptop over you see three removable bays, 1 hdd bay to the left.  2 memory dimm in the middle.  3. hdd bay to the right.  Unscrew 1 if your information was saved on the OS side and 2 if your information was stored on the Data side.  now you have a laptop hdd you can pull out with the caddy thats fixed onto it.  unscrew the caddy from the laptop and now go to your favorite computer store and buy something like this.......http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817392032 hope the link doesnt get removed, and simply put your sata hdd into this and close the enclosure, pop it into a desktop via usb and you have all your data, repeat the steps if your data is on both drives, or better buy two enclosures.

Student
glasshalffull5
Message 1067 of 1,273 (2,049 Views)

this morning i have joined the ranks here as my dv9500 screen went completely grey in color.

I have an external monitor connected via vga and tried to toggle between monitors but nothing happens.  when i unplug the external monitor it shows me the message saying that it's not connected to anything so the external is working fine. 

so with that info, is it more likely that the motherboard is bad or the video card? 

I am going to fix this myself and am troubleshooting before i go by the parts i need.

thanks for any advice and good luck to all those in a similar position.

Intern
Intern
kot
Message 1068 of 1,273 (2,083 Views)

This is an interesting case China confirms faults with HP laptops

The quality problems mainly focused on a defect in graphic cards supplied by NVIDIA Corp. NVIDIA publicly admitted its cards were flawed on July 2, 2008, and offered $150 million to $200 million to HP as compensation, which has yet to reach consumers.

Shen Ji, supervisor of HP's  market department, confirmed that the firm has received the compensation from NVIDI Corporation for the faulty graphic cards and the money will be used to solve the laptop problems for consumers accordingly. But he denied HP will exchange all the faulty graphic cards.

http://news.alibaba.com/article/detail/business-in-china/100260490-1-aqsiq-claims-has-yet-receive.ht...

I wonder where all those money that's suppose to fix faulty cards went?

Let's see how long my post will stay on here before it get taken bits off.

Honor Student
jusips76
Message 1069 of 1,273 (2,093 Views)

Hi There,

I just recommend that any UK customers should return their laptop to the place where they purchased from, it to seek a refund through the sales of goods act.

I visited Staples today with my laptop in hand and was advised to get an independent repair review letter from an Authorised Repair centre (after checking with Staples, this was anywhere authorised to repair computers). I have sent the computer to the company that replaced the mother board the first time around who should issue the letter shortly once they have confirmed the problem.

When I have this letter I need to send it to customer services who should then get in contact and offer to replace or repair. I hope they chose the former as my first replacement motherboard lasted less than a year before overheating, also rumour has it that replacements parts are now becoming scarce because they are in such demand.

I hope this produces a satisfactory result. The man in Staples seemed very positive and with so many related news articles along with this blog of well over a thousand similar posts I am hoping for the best...

I will keep forum informed.

Top Student
Knightblade
Message 1070 of 1,273 (2,164 Views)

My girlfriend's HP is dying too. The same thing, the same symptoms the same all over again. The display has started to go haywire more often than it did. My laptop lasted a couple of weeks after this. So I expect this one to fail shortly. She called HP with the same results as everyone else. The representative "assured" her that once they repair it, its "unlikely" to happen again. I don't know what that means... How can you assure and say its unlikely (with the hint that its not impossible) that it won't happen again? Also, posts are getting deleted. Mine got deleted and I received a message from the mod saying that it was off-topic. I wonder how "off-topic" this post is. Either way, its going in a day or so. They're deleting posts which talk about posts being deleted apparently.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation