Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavillion dv2500
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Problem upgrading to Windows 10.  The video adapter support from HP for this laptop is only up to Vista.  Furthermore, the Nvidia adapter is not a standard one, so downloading a driver from Nvidia does not work, i.e. it will not run.  After upgrading, you are left with only the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter.  If you try downloading and running the HP video driver for Vista, it also won't run as it doesn't recognize Windows 10 as a valid operating system.  This is particularly annoying since the Vista driver will run under Windows 10.

Here is the workaround:

Download and run the Vista video driver installation software from HP.  The installation completes very quickly, and may look like it completes successfully, but it doesn't.  Windows 10 will probably tell you the software may not have loaded correctly, but ignore the error and click through as if it worked.  The driver installation should have been copied to your computer, in my case to a folder called "C:\swsetup\SP3780\WinVista64", but yours may be different.  You can go to that directory and try to run setup again, but it still won't work. 

To install the Vista driver, open control panel and start "Device Manager".  Scroll down to "Display Adapter", and open it to reveal "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter".  Right click on it and select "Update Driver Software...".  Select "Browse my computer for driver software", and then browse to the folder where the driver is located, "C:\swsetup\SP3780\WinVista64" in my case.  (Note: make sure you select the folder that is compatible with the 32-bit or 64-bit version of the operating system you are using.  If you don't know which you are using, do a web search to find out how to tell.)  Select next and the driver will install.  It will take a minute or two to install, and the screen may flash or go blank during installation.  Restart your computer and the Vista video driver will be loaded.

I also had a problem with no sound after upgrading.  Device manager showed no problem with the Conexant High Definition Smart Audio 221 device, but I got no sound.  The solution was to use the Microsoft generic High Definition sound driver instead of the Conexant driver.  Instructions can be found here:

See Matthew Van Eerde’s excellent process here: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/matthew_van_eerde/archive/2010/08/23/troubleshooting-how-to-install-the-micr...

In my case, Windows 10 was able to find a driver for all other devices.

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

This is great, however the vista drivers for the dv2500 are no longer provided.  Do you know where I can get the video driver?  Jim

HP Recommended

Hi there @jogul

Welcome to the HP Support Forums! Here at the Forums you will find suggestions, solutions and a helping hand! I read your post and understand that you would like to know how to get drivers for Windows Vista and your HP Pavilion dv2500 CTO Notebook PC. I would be more than happy to help! 

Here is a link to your HP Pavilion dv2500 CTO Notebook PC Software and Driver Downloads page. You will find all of the Vista drivers there. 

If this reply helped, please use the Accept as Solution button. If you want to give me a virtual high five, please click the Thumbs Up icon below. 

Please let me know if you need anymore help! 

Thanks for joining in!

Have a good one Smiley Happy

EmeraldAvenger
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
Click the Thumbs Up on the left to say “Thanks” for helping!
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.