Question

Top Student
micbrc
Message 1 of 9 (11,164 Views)

installing windows 8 upgrade Black Screen after windows 8 logo - HP Pavilion DV4 3029tx

Hi,
I have been attempting to upgrade my OS on my HP Pavilion dv4 3029tx laptop with core i5 and ati hd 6750m and 4 gb ram.

I am having a problem completing the upgrade from windows 7 64 bit to windows 8 Pro 64 bit. I have attempted the upgrade using multiple methods i have completed an upgrade retaining all user data and windows files and applications and have completed the upgrade using the clean install method.

All upgrade methods result in my problem of just seeing the windows 8 logo and then the screen will go blank after that and nothing further will happen until power is turned off from the laptop there is nothing on the screen at all and no courser.

I belive this has something to do with the switchable graphics card by default it appears that it auto selects the radeon hd 6750m card by default which is not compatible with the installed drivers and there is no way to boot to safe mode and reinstall the drivers for the card.

Has anyone found a fix to this issue at all?

Honor Student
annaki
Message 2 of 9 (11,144 Views)

Re: installing windows 8 upgrade Black Screen after windows 8 logo - HP Pavilion DV4 3029tx

Hi,

I have the Envy 17t-2000 3D laptop with the same problem.  From what I am reading around the Internet, this is happening to quite a few people. It does not seem to be isolated to just the HP brand of computers and laptops.

When I start the laptop, Windows 8 logo comes on, then continues to windows theme sound, after that it goes to a black screen. Will not proceed to the lock screen. The quickest workaround I have found is:

I have to close the laptop cover, let it sleep. Open the laptop cover back up and then it flickers between black and blue screens a couple of times and then will go to lock screen so that you can continue on as normal.  Well as normal as can be for now.

I have done alot of research and no solutions are offered that appear to work.  Most of the Techs from Tech supports are telling people to reload Windows 8, and everytime I read replies that it did not work, problem is still there.

I am going to save time and headache and wait for HP to hurry up and update the drivers to correct this problem. I can handle the extra 10-15 seconds closing and opening the laptop cover to continue on to Windows lock screen.

I have about 7 items on the non-compatible list that I have to wait for updates or new versions to be available to be able to use again.  I did start out with 15 items on that list.

I hope HP is quick with drivers/firmware/software updates. 

Tutor
JJDiebolt
Message 3 of 9 (11,125 Views)

Re: installing windows 8 upgrade Black Screen after windows 8 logo - HP Pavilion DV4 3029tx

Spent the better part of the weekend on the phone with MS tech support and then HP Support.  There are no currently compatible drivers for the display adapters.  HP is aware of the issue and is working toward a fix, however it is recommended that people do not upgrade to Windows 8 until HP releases the driver.  There is no permanent and stable workaround.  Disabling the adapters will result in a BSOD failure upon start in either O.S.

Top Student
micbrc
Message 4 of 9 (11,109 Views)

Thanks for the idea i might give that a try tonight i never thought about closing the lid and putting it to sleep to be honest i think i played with every other setting though :smileyhappy: i might try that tonight and see if i get anything to display.

Thanks for the idea.

Top Student
micbrc
Message 5 of 9 (11,107 Views)

Yeah i was trying to get support and searching around for different forums i came across a few tips and tricks but nothing really works.
I really hope a fix is not to far away.

I have noticed in the bios of the dv4 3029tx i cant actually find a setting to disable one card over the other or change display settings maybe im blind but i don't really see any option at all for it.
Top Student
micbrc
Message 6 of 9 (10,987 Views)

So im still working on installing Windows 8 pro upgrade and so far im in the exact same spot as last weekend.

So from what i can tell there has been a few bios updates to fix this problem released from diffrent pc manufactorers but so far nothing has been released from hp as of yet but i really hope something is launched soon as i no longer have my win 7 recovery partition (im a failure as a it tech i know haha).

I hope HP bother to release a update for this model but its starting to feel like i am being left behind as the error hasnt even been acknoledged by hp as of yet and they claim i have no support remaining even though the laptop was only brought 10 months ago

oh well fingers crossed for a fix soon.

Honor Student
annaki
Message 7 of 9 (10,966 Views)

I spoke with Intel, AMD, Microsoft, and HP support.  All of the companies are aware of the bug with the switchable graphics, butwe will have to wait. Supposedly, HP is working on a fix but with no definite release/completion date. Worse yet, HP has been aware of this problem since the first beta was released.

Until HP does release a fix just use the closing of the laptop cover...putting it in sleep mode....then opening it again to wake it up to the Lock Screen.  Or you could use the fn+f8 in most cases to accomplish the same.  It does add the 10-15 second delay though, but that is the fastest solution I have come across with so far.

Honor Student
cSalman
Message 8 of 9 (9,556 Views)

I've experienced same issue today, and thanks to Microsoft Answer Support they and I fixed it !!

PROCESS TO INSTALL WINDOWS 8 EVEN AFTER BLANK SCREEN ON COMPUTER:

1. At MSCONFIG, uncheck "Load Startup Items".  Disable all at "Services" tab. then reboot computer.
  2. Install windows 8.  After 1st reboot, screen will go blank.
  • Connect another monitor/TV monitor with your laptop/desktop.
  • Your windows 8 installation process will show on 2nd monitor/TV monitor, but will stay blank in 1st monitor.
  • Complete all windows 8 installation process.
  • Once done, change monitor settings at windows. OR     simply close laptop lid and open back.

MY EXPERIENCE:

• In my case, what happened, I was installing Windows 8 at my Toshiba Laptop.
  • I did connected 2nd TV monitor and installation process start showing in it, while Laptop screen remain blank all time.
  • After complete installation my laptop screen remain blank and wouldn't `t fix even with help of Microsoft Answer Support.
  • So they escalated to higher expert and I was suppose to get call from them next day.
  • Same day I started watching a movie using my TV monitor, then I thought let me close the laptop lid.
  • As I closed the laptop lid, TV monitor went blank, so I opened Laptop lid back again.
  • As I opened lid back, windows 8 detected Laptop monitor and started working :smileyvery-happy:

Honor Student
cSalman
Message 9 of 9 (9,555 Views)

Process to install Windows 8 even with Blank Screen on Computer

I've experienced same issue today, and thanks to Microsoft Answer Support they and I fixed it !!

PROCESS TO INSTALL WINDOWS 8 EVEN AFTER BLANK SCREEN ON COMPUTER:

1. At MSCONFIG, uncheck "Load Startup Items".  Disable all at "Services" tab. then reboot computer.
  2. Install windows 8.  After 1st reboot, screen will go blank.
  • Connect another monitor/TV monitor with your laptop/desktop.
  • Your windows 8 installation process will show on 2nd monitor/TV monitor, but will stay blank in 1st monitor.
  • Complete all windows 8 installation process.
  • Once done, change monitor settings at windows. OR     simply close laptop lid and open back.

MY EXPERIENCE:

• In my case, what happened, I was installing Windows 8 at my Toshiba Laptop.
  • I did connected 2nd TV monitor and installation process start showing in it, while Laptop screen remain blank all time.
  • After complete installation my laptop screen remain blank and wouldn't `t fix even with help of Microsoft Answer Support.
  • So they escalated to higher expert and I was suppose to get call from them next day.
  • Same day I started watching a movie using my TV monitor, then I thought let me close the laptop lid.
  • As I closed the laptop lid, TV monitor went blank, so I opened Laptop lid back again.
  • As I opened lid back, windows 8 detected Laptop monitor and started working :smileyvery-happy:
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation