internet explorer stops working and closes when I try to view pdf (2138 Views)
Honor Student
kevintravels
Message 1 of 6 (2,138 Views)
Accepted Solution

internet explorer stops working and closes when I try to view pdf

I have a Pav dv4. Whenever I try to view a pdf file Internet Explorer stops working and closes down.

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 2 of 6 (2,132 Views)

Re: internet explorer stops working and closes when I try to view pdf

[ Edited ]

Hi:

Try a repair/reset of the IE browser.

See the link below. Use the automated fix it and then look at the screen shots lower on the page to reset it.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/318378

Paul

Teacher
RobAld
Message 3 of 6 (2,086 Views)

Sounds like your pdf software is the problem cause.  You could test that idea and work around your problem symptom by disabling or uninstalling its add-on and then open the .pdf file using a stand alone program.  E.g. in the case of Adobe you just use its Preferences (press Ctrl-k) to stop files from being opened in the browser.

Then if that works and you still want to have pdf files open in the browser try reinstalling the pdf software or contact its manufacturer for support, since you would have proved that it is their product which is causing the crash symptom.

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
---

Honor Student
kevintravels
Message 4 of 6 (2,079 Views)

Thanks Rob!!

I was able to fix it with the other link, but I'll keep your advice in mind in case it happens again.

Honor Student
kevintravels
Message 5 of 6 (2,078 Views)

Thanks Paul!!!

The link you gave me did the trick!! I tried the auto diagnosis first, but that didn't help. I was about to re-install Windows when I saw the option of fixing it manually by going to internet options and restoring my defaults. Not only did it work like a charm, they also upgraded me to I.E. 9 without me even having to ask!!!

Thanks again!!!

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 6 of 6 (2,076 Views)

You're very welcome!

I had to do that myself the other day when my wife's IE browser was acting stupid and I was lucky those 2 approaches fixed it too.

The auto-fix detected and fixed two problems but the browser still froze up, but resetting it is what really caused it to return to normalcy.

However I'm glad the auto-fix at least found some issues, and repaired them too.

Best Regards,

Paul

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation