Question

Honor Student
Fairman
Message 1 of 4 (279 Views)

laptop running with black screen, external monitor does not work

The laptop (HP G62) starts but screen is black. Caps Lock light blinks. I connected the laptop to an external monitor but monitor was also black. What could be the problem? Can someone help? Thanks.

Regents Professor
UniProg
Message 2 of 4 (252 Views)

Re: laptop running with black screen, external monitor does not work

Hello Fairman,

Take a look at this document and let me know if it helps figure out the cause.

Good luck!

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓
Honor Student
Fairman
Message 3 of 4 (238 Views)

Thanks for the reply. I tried to follow the recommended procedures without any luck. Hard Reset did not work. The followin actions can not be performed because the screen is black.

• Look for specific error message
  • Perform general EFI troubleshooting tasks
  • Perform general Non-EFI troubleshooting tasks

I tried to 

• Restore  BIOS default settings

but this link does not work. Any method for resetting BIOS relying on messages on screen will not work because of black screen.  I opened the bottom pannel of the laptop (HP G62-340US) and wanted to reintall the button battery to reset BIOS as recommended by one previous post but could not find where the little battery is located. 

Regents Professor
UniProg
Message 4 of 4 (215 Views)

Hello Fairman,

Thanks for your reply.  Take a look at this document and let me know if it helps more than the last one.

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation