Question

Student
dogerme
Message 1 of 2 (329 Views)

laptop screen goes flashes for 3 seconds when starting up, then goes black, even when accessing bios

[ Edited ]

Have a pavilion zv6000 and the screen will flash for about 3 seconds when first starting the computer then goes black with no display at all. tried hard restart, and running without the battery. Not sure what else to try. This all started when I was reloading windows XP home edition. Cannot follow any troubleshooting tips because I cannot see what is happening on the screen.

ANY TIPS WOULD BE APPRECIATED!!!

ok, I have been able to get the monitor to work by pressing the FN key while pressing the F4 key. it forces the video to go where there is a video capable connection. that also works if you have an external monitor connected!!

Master's Graduate
Matt_Lo
Message 2 of 2 (316 Views)

Re: laptop screen goes flashes for 3 seconds when starting up, then goes black, even when accessing

It sounds like the notebook's internal display is not set as the primary display or is disabled.  Log into windows then go to Control Panel - Appearance and Personalization - Personalization - Display Settings (not sure but it may be different on XP so you might have to search around for it). 

At display settings make sure you have it set to a single monitor and that your internal display is set as primary.  If this does not help the issue, try to update your graphics/video driver.

"I'm looking for a laptop that looks like it's wrapped in super-rich, smoothed out tangerine peels." -TheMusicMaker
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation